20020528: Setting up McIDAS ADDE server

>From: Harry Edmon <address@hidden>

Harry,

>I am trying to set up an ADDE server on air.atmos.washington.edu.  I must have
>started awhile ago because the entries are in my inetd.conf file.

OK.  These look like they are setup correctly since I can do a telnet
to both ports used by McIDAS ADDE:

telnet air.atmos.washington.edu 500
telnet air.atmos.washington.edu 503

(the telnet doesn't go anywhere, but it shows that air is listening)

>What do I
>need to do to tell the ADDE server where all my satellite and radar images are
>stored locally?

There are three basic steps needed at this point assuming that you have
made the HOME directory for the user 'mcadde' the same as that for 'mcidas':

1) create the file ~mcidas/.mcenv.  This will have contents that look like:

# Bourne/Korn shell '.mcenv' environment variable definitions for the user
# 'mcadde'

# umask
umask 002

# MCHOME
MCHOME=/home/mcidas

# McIDAS environment variables
MCDATA=$MCHOME/workdata
MCPATH=${MCDATA}:$MCHOME/data:$MCHOME/help
MCGUI=$MCHOME/bin
MCTABLE_READ="$MCHOME/mcidas/data/MCTABLE.TXT"
MCTABLE_WRITE="$MCHOME/mcidas/data/MCTABLE.TXT"

# Turn on ADDE logging
ADDE_LOGGING=YES

# Define the PATH
PATH=${MCGUI}:$PATH

# Export the environment variables above
export MCPATH MCTABLE_READ MCTABLE_WRITE ADDE_LOGGING PATH

# CD to the MCDATA directory
cd $MCDATA

2) setup the McIDAS account for the user 'mcidas' so that it can find
   the various data files.  This is done by a combination of setting
   directories to search for files in the MCPATH for 'mcidas' and
   by setting up McIDAS file REDIRECTions.  I recommend the file
   REDIRECT approach over the use of MCPATH since it is more foolproof.

   In the distribution, I include a set of example file REDIRECTions
   in the file ~mcidas/data/EXAMPLE.NAM.  The idea is that you make
   a copy of this file; edit the copy to setup REDIRECT entries for
   data files on your system; and then make the REDIRECTions active
   in the 'mcidas' account:

   <login as 'mcidas'>
   cd data
   cp EXAMPLE.NAM LOCAL.NAM
   <edit LOCAL.NAM>
   cd ~/workdata
   redirect.k REST LOCAL.NAM

   After doing this, make sure that you can "see" your data files:

   <while still in ~mcidas/workdata>
   dmap.k AREA
   dmap.k MDXX
   etc.

3) After McIDAS running in the 'mcidas' session can find the data files
   you want to make available by ADDE, you have to create ADDE datasets.
   An ADDE dataset is a mapping between logical names (in the form
   group/desciptor.position) and physical files (e.g., AREA1234, etc.).

   The distribution has an example file used to setup ADDE datasets for
   "standard" files (e.g., images in the Unidata-Wisconsin braodcast;
   MDXX and GRID files decoded by XCD, etc.).  The idea is to make a
   copy of this file; edit the copy; and then define the datasets
   setup in the file:

   <as user 'mcidas'>
   cd ~mcidas/data
   cp DSSERVE.BAT LSSERVE.BAT
   <edit LSSERVE.BAT (possibly; you may not need to) and modify things to
   match your setup>
   cd ~mcidas/workdata
   te.k XCDDATA \"directory_where_XCD_decoded_files_reside
   batch.k LSSERVE.BAT

   Even if you are not running XCD, you need to define the McIDAS
   string XCDDATA.  The typical setting for this is something like:

   te.k XCDDATA \"/data/ldm/mcidas

After these three steps, your system should be able to serve the datasets
that you defined in LSSERVE.BAT.  You can test this by pointing to your
machine (McIDAS pointing) and running some commands.  Here is an example:

cd ~mcidas/workdata
dataloc.k ADD RTIMAGES air.atmos.washington.edu
dsinfo.k IMAGE RTIMAGES

This assumes that RTIMAGES is the group name of a dataset you setup in
LSSERVE.BAT.  If it is, you should be able to do something like:

imglist.k RTIMAGES/GW-IR.ALL

If you have other datasets that you want to setup, then LSSERVE.BAT is
the best place to add their definitions.

Please let me know if you have specific questions about setting up
datasets.

Tom