20020317: McIDAS-X/XCD installation and configuration on DEC OSF/1 5.1

>From:  "Dan A. Dansereau" <address@hidden>

Dan,

>I have regenerate a new op system, ldm, and mcidas
>anyway before I started "fixing it" I thought you could
>look at it,

Will do.

>all the data goes into /var/data/ldm/xcd as you suggested

Excellent.  This will make life easier for you in the long run.

>ps - so far the same issues - + the xcd is not decoding
>all the data at this stage

I logged onto tornado to take a look and the connection got closed
just as I was about to do some things.

First quick observation/recommendation:

o turn off telnet (security since passwords go unencrypted over the
  internet

o setup use of ssh (Secure Shell)

o I noticed LWPATH.NAM, STRTABLE, and SKEDFILE in /home/mcidas.  These
  should only be located in /home/mcidas/workdata.  When you do work
  on setting up McIDAS, always CD to the workdata directory first.
  One reason that "the xcd is not decoding all the data" is most likely
  due to some needed REDIRECTions being in /home/mcidas/LWPATH and the
  others being _correctly_ in /home/mcidas/workdata/LWPATH.NAM