20020316: ldm/mcidas

>From: "Dan A. Dansereau" <address@hidden>

Dan,

Third time is _supposed_ to be the charm, not the bane :-)

>I had sent 2 of the 3 emails on ldm/mcidas during this week,

Just got through them.

>but decided
>that I was smart/good enough to fix the third one, and the only real problem!
>( the other two were questions and/or info for you all )
>
>However I come before you - 10 re-installations, and countless hours
>humbled by what I though I had a grip on.

>I think:
>The ldm is decoding & putting the data in the correct place.
>beause I see data in the directories, and no log errors.

OK.

>mcidasx - via mcgui, runs once, ie - I can display 1 image once,
>after that everything is blank, ( supervisor or user )
>loops give a x=-1 error,
>sfclist/ualist returns nothing, - after the first run!

This is so strange that it almost sounds like an OS problem.

I am running on my OSF/1 box right now, and seeing no problems.  Since
I am actually logged into the DEC from my AIX workstation and am
running McIDAS with my display set to the AIX machine, I may not be
exercising something that you are seeing.  I will attempt to run from
the console to make sure that I am not fooling myself here.

In reference to the second of your previous emails, I am running DF
with absolutely no problems.

>the route listing looks good and reports area files,
>last & recieved cols changes. ( nothing suspended that I need )

OK, good.

>the statdisp seems to indicate that the decoders
>are working - ie the byte & index numbers go up,
>and the time changes.

OK.

>the redirect listing is pointing to the correct place

Good.

>but when I do a image data availablity I get the following
>for all images.
>IMGLIST RTIMAGES/GW-WV.ALL
>Image file directory listing for:RTIMAGES/GW-WV
>IMGLIST: No images satisfy the selection criteria
>IMGLIST: done
>IMGLIST failed, RC=2

Just as a sanity check, lets make sure that your are actually looking
on your machine for the data:

DSSERVE LIST RTIMAGES

If this comes back looking good, then run:

DSINFO IMAGE RTIMAGES

If this comes back looking good, then run:

If the DSSERVE listing is empty, then the datasets have not been setup
on your machine yet, and you would expect the failures you are seeing.
In this case, you need to:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd data
cp DSSERVE.BAT LSSERVE.BAT
<edit LSSERVE.BAT and make any changes IF necessary (like to remove/comment
out setting up of datasets that you will not have (e.g., WNOWRAD, WNEXRAD,
etc.)>
cd ~/workdata
batch.k LSSERVE.BAT

>IMGLIST RTIMAGES/MOLL-WV.ALL
>Image file directory listing for:RTIMAGES/MOLL-WV
>IMGLIST: No images satisfy the selection criteria
>IMGLIST: done
>IMGLIST failed, RC=2
>
>the ROUTEPP log seems to be OK ( see below )
>cat ROUTEPP.LOG
>BATCH U3 200 100137 85900 1 "MDR.BAT
>NORTMAPR 9018 200 9993 N5 NONE 0 9018 MAPAREA=9974 DEV=NNN
>batch.k: BATCH done /home/mcidas/data/MDR.BAT
>BATCH UB 170 102075 70000 1 "GW-WV.BAT
>GOESCOMP 170 NONE 9988 C CW SCRAREA=9976 9977 DEV=NNN
>batch.k: BATCH done /home/mcidas/data/GW-WV.BAT
>BATCH U5 130 102075 70000 1 "GW-IR.BAT
>NORTMAPR 9017 130 9989 N3 NONE 0 9017 MAPAREA=9970 DEV=NNN
>GOESCOMP 130 NONE 9986 C CI N7 SCRAREA=9981 9984 MAP=YES 9019 9970 DEV=NNN
>batch.k: BATCH done /home/mcidas/data/GW-IR.BAT
>BATCH UX 100 102075 60000 1 "MOLL.BAT
>NORTMAPR 9015 100 9993 N6 IR MAPAREA=9973 DEV=NNN
>batch.k: BATCH done /home/mcidas/data/MOLL.BAT
>BATCH UI 150 102075 71500 1 "GE-IR.BAT
>NORTMAPR 9016 150 9993 N1 NONE 0 9016 MAPAREA=9970 DEV=NNN
>GOESCOMP NONE 150 9986 C CI N7 SCRAREA=9981 9984 MAP=YES 9019 9970 DEV=NNN
>batch.k: BATCH done /home/mcidas/data/GGOESCOMP NONE 210 9988 C CW
>SCRAREA=9976 9977 DEV=NNN
>batch.k: BATCH done /home/mcidas/data/GE-WV.BAT

The routing table shows you want data has been ingested and decoded.  After
getting he ingest/decode setup, if you havn't already done so, you need
to setup the ADDE datasets so that the ADDE routines like IMGLIST, IMGDISP,
SFCPLOT, etc. can find the data.

>the ldmd.log seems to be ok  ( a clip of it )
>Mar 16 07:17:07 tornado pnga2area[304982]: Starting Up
>Mar 16 07:17:07 tornado pnga2area[304982]: output file pathname:
>/data/ldm/mcidas/AREA0170
>Mar 16 07:17:07 tornado pnga2area[304982]: unPNG::   144378    613376  4.2484
>Mar 16 07:17:07 tornado pnga2area[304982]: Exiting
>Mar 16 07:17:45 tornado pnga2area[305017]: Starting Up
>Mar 16 07:17:45 tornado pnga2area[305017]: output file pathname:
>/data/ldm/mcidas/AREA0130
>Mar 16 07:17:46 tornado pnga2area[305017]: unPNG::   935042   2439056  2.6085
>Mar 16 07:17:46 tornado pnga2area[305017]: Exiting
>Mar 16 07:19:16 tornado pnga2area[305035]: Starting Up
>Mar 16 07:19:16 tornado pnga2area[305035]: output file pathname:
>/data/ldm/mcidas/AREA1140

This agrees with the routing table listing.

>Can you point me in a direction - at this stage I'm lost.

I think we have two problems:

o ADDE datasets need to be defined
o there may be some weird problem with your build that I will need a logon
  to figure out

>Thanks for your help - as usual you all still walk on water
>when it comes to this stuff!!

Thanks!

>P.S. I think my beer tab is getting bigger - on a long weekend
>     we will need to fix it!

Sounds good.

>If you need to call me  -  use 435-755-9417
>24 hours a day - 7 days a week .....

Hopefully, you are reading email periodically this weekend.  If so,
maybe I can get that login and poke around a bit.

Tom

>From address@hidden Sat Mar 16 20:16:58 2002

Tom

This one seems to be a problem on the USU network side,
it seem that when I get this error, is during the times that
they are in labs, and the labs feed from the same server,
- or they are doing a backup - seems like a load issue -
with a missing packet ( can't decode argument error ).

I will keep checking is out - and let you know

Dan

>From address@hidden Sat Mar 16 20:04:13 2002

Tom
   the DSSERVE LIST RTIMAGES list

DSSERVE LIST RTIMAGES

Group/Descriptor         Type  Format & Range     RT Comment
------------------------ ----- ------------------ -- --------------------
RTIMAGES/ANTARCTIC       IMAGE AREA 190-199          Antarctic IR Composite
RTIMAGES/EDFLOATER-I     IMAGE AREA 160-169          Educational Floater
RTIMAGES/EDFLOATER-II    IMAGE AREA 60-69            Educational Floater II
RTIMAGES/GE-IR           IMAGE AREA 150-159          GOES-East North America IR
RTIMAGES/GE-IRTOPO       IMAGE AREA 220-229          GOES-East IR/TOPO Composite
RTIMAGES/GE-VIS          IMAGE AREA 140-149          GOES-East North America VIS
RTIMAGES/GE-VISTOPO      IMAGE AREA 230-239          GOES-East VIS/TOPO
Composite
RTIMAGES/GE-WV           IMAGE AREA 210-219          GOES-East North America H2O
RTIMAGES/GEW-IR          IMAGE AREA 80-89            GOES-East/West IR Composite
RTIMAGES/GEW-IRTOPO      IMAGE AREA 280-289          GOES-East/West IR/TOPO
Composite
RTIMAGES/GEW-VIS         IMAGE AREA 90-99            GOES-East/West VIS
Composite
RTIMAGES/GEW-VISTOPO     IMAGE AREA 290-299          GOES-East/West VIS/TOPO
Composite
RTIMAGES/GEW-WV          IMAGE AREA 70-79            GOES-East/West H2O
Composite

DSSERVE: done

        Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: RTIMAGES

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
ANTARCTIC       10    Antarctic IR Composite
EDFLOATER-I     10    Educational Floater
EDFLOATER-II    10    Educational Floater II
GE-IR           10    GOES-East North America IR
GE-IRTOPO       10    GOES-East IR/TOPO Composite
GE-VIS          10    GOES-East North America VIS
GE-VISTOPO      10    GOES-East VIS/TOPO Composite
GE-WV           10    GOES-East North America H2O
GEW-IR          10    GOES-East/West IR Composite
GEW-IRTOPO      10    GOES-East/West IR/TOPO Composite
GEW-VIS         10    GOES-East/West VIS Composite
GEW-VISTOPO     10    GOES-East/West VIS/TOPO Composite
GEW-WV          10    GOES-East/West H2O Composite

If you want to call me at 435-755-9417 or 435-755-7012
I will give you the info to log on

Dan