20020107: McIDAS: CIRA Enhancement tables in McIDAS .ET format (cont.)

>From: "Motta, Brian" <address@hidden>

Brian,

Thanks for getting back to me on the enhancement topic!

re: First, a minor point.  I see no difference in the enhancement listing
for 'IR (channel 4) (9)' and 'IR (channel 5) (10)'.  Am I
seeing things incorrectly, or is this actually the case?

>This is the case because what is important is the differences between
>the two channels. While they are both IR, the 10.7um is the "window"
>channel while the 12.0um channels is more affected by water vapor. These
>channels make the "split window" which allows for examination of thin
>cloud features and cloud edges.

I understand.  But, aren't the enhancements listed applied to the
individual images?  Or, is one supposed to only be used for a difference
product?

re: listed WV/IR enhancement does not look like pictorial representations.

>You are ok.  There was a change in the GINI WV counts a couple of years
>ago. The range was greatly shortened when the imagery were forst made
>available which caused lack of data at the warm and cold ends of the
>scale. We suggested that NESDIS change their processing so that the IR
>brightness temperature scale matched the other IR channels. There are
>many reasons why this was done but perhaps the most important one was to
>make the digital data values correct in AWIPS.

OK.

re: do you have enhancements in McIDAS .ET format that are available to
grab

>Yes, I'll find them and place them at ftp://ftp.cira.colostate.edu/motta

OK.  They weren't there when I checked yesterday.  I will be patient :-)

re: has CIRA coined "standard" enhancement names

>Sort of- they are home grown names. The files will be named as such.

OK.  Hopefully, the names will be enough to figure out which bands
they are designed to be used with.  A table/list of which enhancements
are for which bands would be very useful.

When I wrote my original note, I was just about to release a McIDAS
addendum; I have since done so.  My addendum included all of the
enhancemnts contained on the CIRA web page that I talked about
previously and several MAP outline files (roads, rivers, rail lines,
etc.) and lots of mods that make it possible to build McIDAS with
gcc/g77.  Being able to build using g77 has been a long standing
project for me.  I was relieved to finally get it out of the door.  My
next little project is getting things working under MacOS 10.  I am
getting close to being able to build cleanly (again, using gcc/g77),
but this project is not at the top of my list.

>Many of the black and white ones come from the old goes users guide. The
>remainder were made at CIRA/RAMM....mostly of the color ones.

I am interested in any/all that you can provide.  McIDAS needs a large
variety of enhancements being used in the community to be included
in standard releases.

>I'll drop you a note when I get the .ETs collected.

Thanks!

Tom

>From address@hidden Tue Jan  8 12:04:15 2002

re: But, aren't the enhancements listed applied to the
individual images?  Or, is one supposed to only be used for a
difference product?

>The images can be used for a single-time comparison of the channels. The
>reason you would want to use the same image color table is to see the
>differences caused by the different channels. It's not intended for a
>difference product.

>The fog product and reflectivity product curves are different in
>thatthey are calculated difference products.

re: enhancements
>I changed the URL. They aren't all there yet because the ETs are
>scattered across our systems.  It's alot like an easter egg hunt.

>Yes, I'll find them and place them at
>ftp://ftp.cira.colostate.edu/motta/et

>Brian

>PS. More to come

>From address@hidden Wed Jan  9 16:13:19 2002
>Subject: RE: 20020107: McIDAS: CIRA Enhancement tables in McIDAS .ET format
>(cont.)

Tom- the .ETs that I've put out there are from OS/2 systems and may need
to be converted for unix/linux systems. Once I get them all in one
place, I'll take out the some and create a core set of only the best
ones. I'm waiting for some which were recently backed off to tape.

Brian

Brian C. Motta
VISIT Project Investigator
Virtual Institute for Satellite Integration Training
VISIT Homepage: http://www.cira.colostate.edu/ramm/visit/visithome.asp
VISIT Homepage Alias: http://visit.cira.colostate.edu
Colorado State University/Foothills Campus
Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere
Regional And Mesoscale Meteorology Team
W. Laporte Avenue
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1375
970-491-8366 <<>>  970-491-8241 FAX