20020103: Unidata FTP access to Unisys Radar data (cont.)

>From:  "Hongming Qi" <address@hidden>

Hongming,

>   I tested these data in McIDAS7.802. Everything is same as what you
>said in the email. Only local Radar data could be displayed but national
>Radar data couldn't be displayed.

OK.

>From SSEC homepage, the national
>composite Radar data should be displayed by imgdisp command.

I believe that SSEC has a procedure that composites individual NEXRAD
Level III radar images into a national composite.  It is that composite
that can be displayed by IMGDISP, not the Unisys one.

>   Right now I am trying to convert these NIDS format data into McIDAS
>AREA format data.

You have everything you need right now.  Simply use the IMGCOPY command
from the NIDS dataset into one that is setup for imagery in AREA file
format.  Here is an example:

First make an output dataset of imagery in AREA format:

DSSERVE ADD NIDSAREA/N0R AREA 1 9999 TYPE=IMAGE "NEXRAD Level III Base
Reflectivity in AREA format

Then do the copy:

IMGCOPY UNISYS/BREF2 NIDSAREA/NOR.1234 ID=* TIME=15:00 SIZE=ALL

You will end up with the BREF2 image in the AREA file AREA1234.  Depending
on if you have any McIDAS file REDIRECTions in place for AREA, this
image should end up in the first writable directory in your MCPATH.

>By looking through web, I found there was one report
>you wrote in your web site. The title is "McIDAS Support Status
>Activities for Winter 2000". You mentioned "rewrite of NEXRAD Level III
>to McIDAS AREA converter (in progress)" in this report. Do you still
>have any information about such conversion?

I have a package that I maintain called ldm-mcidas which has a routine
that will convert WSI NIDS products into AREA format.  This probably
could be used (perhaps with slight tweaking) with the Unisys images,
but you don't really need it given that you can create the output
AREA files using McIDAS itself.

>Where can I find the
>detailed information about Radar data in NIDS format like how to store
>header and how many bytes in header section?

The format is documented in several government publications.  Do you
really need this information given that you can do the conversion you
are after with no additional work?

>Thanks,

I've got to run right now.  Please let me know if you want me to dig up
a reference for the format of NIDS (aka NEXRAD Level III) products.  Again,
I don't think you need this, but, then again, I don't know exactly what
you are trying to accomplish.