20011127: McIDAS only plotting current data

>From: "Patrick O'Reilly" <address@hidden>

Patrick,

>In trying to plot the previous day's upper air / surface data, it seems
>McIDAS will only plot the current day's data, even when the date and
>time are explicitly set.

I verified that I tried putting up surface plots from yesterday:

SF 1
ERASE
SFCPLOT WINDB USACONF 12 DAY=2001330

This indeed put up a plot from 12Z today, DAY 2001331.  So, I tried
specifying the DAY differently on the command line:

SFCPLOT WINDB USACONF 12 2001330

This time, the correct plot was made.

I then tried plotting upper air data and got similar results:

SF 2
ERASE
RAOBPLOT Z 500 USACONF 12 DAY=2001330

does not give the correct day's data, but:

SF 2
ERASE
RAOBPLOT Z 500 USACONF 12 2001330

does.

This indicates that there _are_ bugs in SFCPLOT's and RAOBPLOT's use of
the DAY= keyword.  Now, since the MCGUI specifies the DAY using the
DAY= keyword, it will also show the problem.

>I even tried in command mode (not the McGUI)
>to get 26 November 12Z upperair/surface data to plot, but it only plots
>12Z 27 November.

Compare the command syntax you used for SFCPLOT/RAOBPLOT with what I
listed above.  I think you will find that the second form works and the
first does't (the on using DAY= syntax).

>I checked the files and have:
>
>MDXX0011
>MDXX0020
>MDXX0021
>MDXX0030

>which my LSSERVE.BAT say are mandatory and significant level upperair
>files.

That is correct.

>So the data seems to be there.  Any ideas why I can't get "old"
>data to plot?

You discovered a bug.

>I tried a couple different machines too, mine here,
>adde.ucar.edu, and papagayo.unl.edu.  Same result.  Help would be
>appreciated.

I will dig into the source code for the modules that are not working;
develop appropriate fixes; and then let you know how to download the
revised source and build and install new executables.

>Thanks!

Thanks for finding the bug.  I am suprised that I didn't see this one
before!  Just goes to show that I mostly look at current data!!

Tom