20011125: McIDAS vis-a-via Solaris 7/8 (cont.)

>From: "James R. Frysinger" <address@hidden>

Jim,

>I hope your weekend was as relaxing and as fun as mine was. It was a
>good family time and we didn't even consume a lot of time making fancy
>meals -- not even a turkey!

It has been grand!

>I've left support-mcidas off the cc line; let me know if this solves
>the doubled-message problem.

Yes, this does.  The strange thing is that other sites leave the CC to
support-mcidas on and we do not get duplicates.  Just to let you know,
the CC to support-<anything> goes straight to support, so there is no
reason to include it.

>On Wednesday afternoon I went in and installed the appropriate LDM
>binary on 'weather'.

Good.  Did you get a system administrator to change the owner and
execute privilege for 'hupsyslog' and 'rpc.ldmd', or do you have
'root' privilege on weather?  This is a mandatory step in the
installation/cofiguration of the LDM.

>The password I gave you has not been changed so
>please feel free to tool around and make sure everything is in the
>right place.

OK.

>It looks like (according to the LDM FAQ page) I've got a
>little tweaking to do, such as planting a symbolic link in /usr/local
>for our actual LDM location. I'll read down that page and see what I
>find.

So, you do have 'root' privilege?

>In the meantime, I tried the LDM Documentation link on
>
>   http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/software/index.phtml
>
>and it was broken. A note there says to let you know.

Use:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/Software.html

>Where is the stuff for LDM-MCIDAS? Is that folded into LDM now?

The ldm-mcidas pages are accessible off of the McIDAS HomePage:

Unidata McIDAS 7.8
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/780/index.html
  ldm-mcidas
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcidd/ldm-mcidas.html

>I'm unclear what local users need on their machines for "spiffy"
>operations. You said that they need only McIDAS-X and not McIDAS-XCD.

Right.

>What about ADDE and LDM? Are those for our local server only?

ADDE access to data is built-in to McIDAS.  The ADDE remote server,
on the other hand, needs to be setup by 'root' (as you did for weather).
Typically, you only need the remote server setup on your "data" machine.

The LDM only needs to be installed/configured on the ingest machine.

>Or will
>our users need those to port the data they want from 'weather' to their
>machines?

No.  If they want local copies of data, they can use ADDE to copy the
data they want (McIDAS land) or access the data from the server via
NFS mounts (non-McIDAS land).

>I'll put in yet another call on those ports.

>In the meantime, we can go
>ahead with the process of getting data to come in via LDM, can't we?

Yup.

>I can dig around and see if I still have the links we used last January
>for feeds.

OK.  Our records indicate that you had the following setup:

primary feed site:  pluto.met.fsu.edu
failover feed site: cirp.met.utah.edu

This information is accessible online:

Unidata HomePage:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
  Software
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/Software.html
    IDD
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/idd/index.html
      Current Operational Status
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/idd/iddgeneral.html#status
        IDD Site Contact List
        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/idd/sitelist.html

>Don't know if they are still open to us or not, though. We
>have not changed our fully qualified hostname so they might still
>work!

They should still work.  You can test this quickly and easily from
your LDM account:

notifyme -vxl- -o 3600 -h pluto.met.fsu.edu

- and/or -

notifyme -vxl- -o 3600 -h cirp.met.utah.edu

If you are still allowed to request data from these sites, then the
notifyme invocations will work.  If not, you will get a 'Connection
refused' message.

>I'm looking forward to actually pulling up some near-realtime
>data into mcidas and doing some learning (and eventually useful work).

You are very close!

>Oh, by the way, I'm leaving by train Wednesday evening and won't get
>back until Saturday morning.

I love trains!

>I've got three meetings in Washington,
>DC.  In the meantime, I had better get hot and make those changes I
>promised the committe on that one metric standard for the IEEE. So, you
>won't hear anything from me in that timespan and perhaps not a whole
>lot more before.

OK.  I may poke around on weather tomorrow (for fun ;-).

>Then the worst of November is behind me and I've got
>only a lecture and a final (December 05) ahead of me.

The worst is behind me also. Now I have got to get back on an exercise
program :-O.

>Welcome back!

Thanks.  Talk to you later...

Tom