20011114: BLIZZARD datasets?

>From: address@hidden

Hi Myron,

Long time no hear!

First, the message you sent to the mcidas-x email list maintained by
Unidata bounced because the email address you sent the message from:

Myron Kowalski <address@hidden>

is not subscribed to the list.  You are subscribed as:

address@hidden (Myron Kowalski)

In order to prevent future bounces, you should unsubscribe the first
the 'myron' address and subscribe the 'kowalskM' addess.  This can be done
online at:

Second, the BLIZZARD dataset is on the server you tried (and on
several others).

>I'm looking for the BLIZZARD datasets to review the Learning Guide.
>They don't appear to be where the tutorial says they are.
>Anybody know where they are?--myron
>
>./dataloc.k
>
>Group Name                    Server IP Address
>--------------------         ----------------------------------------
>BLIZZARD                     ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>
>./dsinfo.k all blizzard
>    No Datasets found of Type: IMAGE in Group: blizzard
>    No Datasets found of Type: POINT in Group: blizzard
>    No Datasets found of Type: VPROF in Group: blizzard
>    No Datasets found of Type: GRID  in Group: blizzard
>    No Datasets found of Type: TEXT  in Group: blizzard
>    No Datasets found of Type: NAV   in Group: blizzard

The problem here is your invocation of dsinfo.k.  It should be:

dsinfo.k ALL BLIZZARD

Like most McIDAS commands, capital letters are mandated for program
arguments.

Last thing.  I see that you have not yet downloaded the latest version
of Unidata McIDAS, Version 7.8.  There are a number of improvements in
the MCGUI in 7.8 that would probably be useful to folks at Moravian.

Cheers!

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden Wed Nov 14 08:20:09 2001

Thanks Tom.

I resubscribed to the lists. And, as soon as the current Meterology
class is over, I will update to the new version. Also, I want to set
up COMET studies for Dr. Gerencher to use in future classes.

I don't use mcidas enough, so I always seem to have to review.
Even with the right invocation, I still don't see the datasets:

/users/mcidas/bin/dsinfo.k ALL BLIZZARD
    No Datasets found of Type: IMAGE in Group: BLIZZARD
    No Datasets found of Type: POINT in Group: BLIZZARD
    No Datasets found of Type: VPROF in Group: BLIZZARD
    No Datasets found of Type: GRID  in Group: BLIZZARD
    No Datasets found of Type: TEXT  in Group: BLIZZARD
    No Datasets found of Type: NAV   in Group: BLIZZARD
DSINFO -- done

(Breaking News)

I just talked to Mike Sands and we figured out it was a DNS problem.
When I add adde.ucar.edu as an ip address

dataloc.k

Group Name                    Server IP Address
BLIZZARD                     128.117.13.119

it all comes up (the new version of micdas probably deals with DNS better)

dsinfo.k ALL BLIZZARD

        Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: BLIZZARD

Name         NumPos   Content
G7-IR-4K         3    Storm of the Century G7 IR
G7-VIS-1K        1    Storm of the Century G7 1K

Thanks again.--myron