20011106: IMGDISP problems (cont.)

>From: Giovanni Leoncini <address@hidden>

Giovsnni,

>once more, thanks a lot!!
>
>I was able to display the images, but not to map them.

Hmm... were any of the images that you could NOT map the ones that you
made available on your web page?  If so, I can only say that I can
display and map ALL of those images, but as I told Mike V., I am
using my 7.8 version of McIDAS.

>My general dataset is
>MYIMG/AREA               IMAGE AREA
>                               DIRFILE=/export/home/met171/giova/area/*/*
>
>I loaded one image with:
>IMGDISP MYIMG/AREA.1
>
>and then,
>MAP H
>
>I get
>MAP: Unable to find a NAV start point in image.
>MAP: Completed frame 1
>
>after that I tryed your very same command:
>
>IMGDISP MYIMG/AREA ALL=1 6 EU=IMAGE SF=YES REFRESH='EG (GRA);MAP H GRA=(GRA)'
>
>which loads 2 NCAL, 1 WV, 1 4kmVIS, 2 NCAL, since I have various images.
>The weird thing is that it doesn't maps only the first 2, so the last 2
>NCAL images are mapped.
>
>the MAP output for the first 2 NCAL is
>MAP: Unable to find a NAV start point in image.
>MAP: Completed frame 1
>MAP: Unable to find a NAV start point in image.
>MAP: Completed frame 2

OK, so there is a problem with those first two images.

>but a probe on a mapped image gives me:
>
>     Image Name           Day      Nominal Time   Scan Time    Band
>  ----------------      -------    ------------   ---------    ----
>  MYIMG/AREA.24       12 Jul 01193   23:00:00      MISSING       1
>
>                        File     Nominal  Image     RAW     BRIT
>       Lat/Lon      Line/Element  Line/Element
>          /            346/  476    4298/17444        86        86
>
>IMGPROBE: Done

It doesn't make sense that you would be able to correctly draw a map
on an image, but not be able to probe it correctly!

>and if I try to export it to netcdf
>IMGCOPY MYING/AREA.6 IMG/NEETCDF.1
>
> the latitude array is filled with gigantic values (~2*10**9), although I
>didn't try the LATlon keyword.

This failure agrees with no LAT/LON listing from the probe.

>next I created a new dataset:
>MYNCAL/AREA              IMAGE AREA                  Nor Cal 1km
>
>                     DIRFILE=/export/home/met171/giova/area/1kmVIS/NCAL*
>
>and used the command:
>IMGDISP MYNCAL/AREA ALL=1 6 EU=IMAGE SF=YES REFRESH='EG (GRA);MAP H GRA=(GRA)'
>

>which loads only NCAL, but maps nothing!!!
>

>the MAP's output being:
>MAP: Unable to find a NAV start point in image.
>MAP: Completed frame 1
>MAP: Unable to find a NAV start point in image.
>MAP: Completed frame 2
>MAP: Unable to find a NAV start point in image.
>MAP: Completed frame 3
>MAP: Unable to find a NAV start point in image.
>MAP: Completed frame 4
>MAP: Unable to find a NAV start point in image.
>MAP: Completed frame 5
>MAP: Unable to find a NAV start point in image.
>MAP: Completed frame 6
>

>hope it helps! let me know if you want the images I've been using

Again, are any of these images ones you made available on your web page?
Also again, I can display and MAP all of those images.

Could I get a login from the account you are running the IMGDISP
and MAP commands from?  I am suspicious that something is wrong in your
envionment like FrameN.M files in your MCPATH which you do not have
write access to.  If this were the case, you would be able to display
images, but not update the frame directories (FrameN.M) with NAV
information, and MAP would fail.

Tom