20011102: IMGDISP problems (cont.)

>From: Giovanni Leoncini <address@hidden>

Giovanni,

>thanks for your tips! very useful, as usual!!

No problem.

re: GEMPAK vs McIDAS display

>understood! I was hoping there was an easy way to recover the
>navigation blocks.

>sorry for not being clear again! I'm working night and day!!

Ouch.

>the image I'd like you to work on is only the NCAL type, given that IR, WV
>and 4km VIS work fine.

OK.

>add some more under http://metsun1.met.sjsu.edu/~leoncini/images

I downloaded the Nov. 2 NCAL images from the URL above to a Linux
machine at home and verified that IMGDISP does not work.  I was,
however, able to load and draw a map on top of the images using
the old DF routine.  In order for DF to work, one has to make a link
between the image file (e.g., NCAL_010712_1930) and an AREA file
name (e.g., AREA2005).  Here is an example:

ln -s NCAL_010712_1930 AREA2005

After making the link, you have to tell McIDAS how to locate the
AREA file with a file REDIRECTion.  Here is an example of the procedure
for an NCAL file in a directory named /data/mcidas/sjsu:

cd /data/mcidas/sjsu
ln -s NCAL_010712_1930 AREA2005

Now, in your McIDAS session, you would type:

REDIRECT ADD AREA200* "/data/mcidas/sjsu

and then verify thst you had no typos:

DMAP AREA200

you should get a listing that shows the existence of AREA2005 in
/data/mcidas/sjsu.

Next, verify that you can load the image using DF and draw a map
on it using MAP:

DF 2005 1 AU 1 1 EU=IMAGE
MAP H

Since DF works, it would seem that there MUST be a problem or an
assumption with/in the image server (AGETSERV) that IMGDISP runs to get
data.  I will investigate this further today and see if I can come up
with a fix or workaround.

After loading the image, it can be interrogated using the normal
McIDAS D and IMGPROBE commands.  Is this one of the things you are
wanting to do?

Just for completeness, can you verify that you are running Version
7.7x of Unidata McIDAS?  This can be done by typing the folloeing from
the Text and Command window of your McIDAS session:

SEE VERSION.TXT

Please let me know the output from this invocation.  Thanks.

>thanks again!!

Sorry for the problems...

Tom