20011102: creating goes8/10 composites (cont.)

>From: "Alliss, Randall J." <address@hidden>

Randy,

>I am not sure what you mean in 1) below. where does A/A.4001 come from?

What I was trying to get across was that your goal is to create an
image that has a certain areal coverage, and you want the projection
to be rectilinear.  So, your first job is to create an image in
an AREA file that has the areal coverage that you want.  How you do
this is up to you, but one way would be to use the first IMGREMAP
command that you sent me originally:

IMGREMAP WESTL/CONUS A/A.4000 LAT=38 96 BAND=4 RES=10 PRO=RECT TIME=13:30
DAY=2001305

Create this image and put a map on top of it.  Is the spatial extent what
you are looking for?  If so, you are done.  If not, you can increase
the areal coverage by making the output image size bigger (using the
SIZE= keyword).  My example postulated that you may want the output
image to be 1024x1280 in size.

Now that I am in my office, I am able to run through the commands that
I recommend you try and verify that there are not typos, etc.

Try the following (easiest done by cutting and pasting into a McIDAS
BATCH file):

REM Create an image with the desired areal coverage and projection from a
REM GOES-West image
SF 1
ERASE
IMGREMAP WESTL/CONUS A/A.4000 LAT=38 96 BAND=4 RES=10 PRO=RECT SIZE=1024 1280
SSIZE=ALL TIME=15:00 DAY=2001306
IMGDISP A/A.4000 MAG=-2 EU=IMAGE
MAP SAT

REM Make a copy of the right half of the above image into an new AREA
SF 2
ERASE
IMGCOPY A/A.4000 A/A.4001 LINELE=0 640 SIZE=1024 640
IMGDISP A/A.4001 LINELE=0 -640 MAG=-2 EU=IMAGE
MAP SAT

REM Remap a GOES-East image from about the same time as the GOES-West image
REM into the right hand half created in the last step
SF 3
ERASE
IMGREMAP EASTL/CONUS A/A.4001 SSIZE=ALL BAND=4 TIME=15:15 DAY=2001306
IMGDISP A/A.4001 LINELE=0 -640 MAG=-2 EU=IMAGE
MAP SAT

REM Merge the rectilinear copy of the original GOES-West image with the
REM remapped copy of the GOES-East image.  This remap will lay the
REM GOES-East remapped half on top of the GOES-West remap.  The effect
REM will be use of GOES-East data east of 98 W longitude, and GOES-West
REM data west of 98 W longitude
SF 4
ERASE
IMGCOPY A/A.4000 A/A.4002 SIZE=ALL
IMGREMAP A/A.4001 A/A.4002 SSIZE=ALL MERGE=YES
IMGDISP A/A.4002 MAG=-2 EU=IMAGE
MAP SAT

REM Animate the various steps in the remap/composite process
LB 1 4
DR 4*20
TERM L ON

Tom