20011026: GINI conversion to AREA (cont.)

>From: Jason Levit <address@hidden>

Jason,

>>So, for right now, I'm going to put the data on my web page for you to
>>download:
>>
>>  http://www.caps.ou.edu/~jlevit/data
>>
>>  There is a ".gini" and ".mcidas" file there from data we collected a
>>couple of hours ago.  Please let me know anything you find out - thanks!

I grabbed the images you were using and took a look on a machine here
at Unidata.  I got the same error from IMGREMAP (imgremap.k) that you
reported (I setup the ADDE datasets CAPSGINI/GE1KVIS and CAPSAREA/GE1KVIS):

IMGCOPY CAPSAREA/GE1KVIS MYDATA/IMAGES.2000 SIZE=ALL

IMGREMAP CAPSGINI/GE1KVIS MYDATA/IMAGES.2000

IMGREMAP: The portion of the image requested does not exist
IMGREMAP: Failed to open source image for read

At first, I figured that there had to be something wrong with my GINI
ADDE server code, but I couldn't find anything obvious in the source.
To further test the problem, I tried remapping your SPC VIS image into
other images I have access to.  These all worked with no problem.  I
then tried the reverse: remapping other images I have access to into
copies of your SPC image.  These all worked also.

At this point, I was driven to desperation: I read the manual (say it
isn't so!):

Unidata McIDAS-X 7.80 HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/780
  Documentation and Training
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/780/document.html
    McIDAS-X User's Guide
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/780/users_guide/index.html

Chapter 3 contains documentation on all of the routines in 7.80.  I
looked up IMGREMAP and the following bit caught my eye:

"IMGREMAP uses the sdataset parameter and the DAY, TIME and ID keywords
to select the source image to remap. It uses the Output Keywords to
calculate the geographical region to extract from the source image for
the remap. The calculation, however, sometimes underestimates or
overestimates the size of the source image region needed for the remap.
If that happens, use the SSIZE keyword to override the default
calculation. For example, if the default calculation doesn't include
the poles in the remap of a global image, specify SSIZE=ALL to ensure
that they're included. The default calculation often overestimates the
data region needed for a remap of polar-orbiting satellite data. To
avoid this, you can use SSIZE with line and element values to choose a
smaller source image region. Selecting more source image data than
necessary does not affect the output image, but takes it longer to
complete and adds to the cost if you pay for the data."

Given this, I altered my original IMGREMAP invocation by including the
SSIZE=ALL keyword:

IMGREMAP CAPSGINI/GE1KVIS MYDATA/IMAGES.2000 SSIZE=ALL

and the remap went smoothly.

Just goes to show, it _sometimes_ pays to read the manual :-)

Give the same thing a try on your system and see if you don't also get
good results.

Tom