20010919: McIDAS SFCMG and off-hours reports; GOES-East GINI IR images (cont.)

>From: Christian Page <address@hidden>

Christian,

re: GINI East sectors between 4 and 7 Z are from GOES-West
>But if we look at unisys image
>http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/sat_ir_east.html
>it seems that goes-w is extending beyond what we see on GINI images. It covers
>all the east coast. Even if the resolution is not very good, it does give some
>useful information.

It looks the Unisys image for the gap times are made by remapping the
full GOES-West image into the GOES-East projection.  The GINI images,
on the other hand, look to be a reprojection of a sectorized GOES-West
image, and the sector that is being remapped doesn't have all of the data
that the original GOES-West image has.

>Any hope that the projection of GOES-10 being extended to
>what we see on unisys images?

The contents of the GINI images are determined at the National Weather
Service, so we do not have any control over them.

Since you have McIDAS you can fixup the GINI sectors yourself.  To do
this, I would remap the GOES-West image for the gap times into the
projection of the GINI GOES-East sector.  This is easy to do and can
be automated.

What I am after is basically:

IMGCOPY GINIEAST/GE4KIR MYDATA/IMAGES.1234 SIZE=ALL TIME=4:00
IMGREMAP RTIMAGES/GE-IR MYDATA/IMAGES.1234 RES=4 TIME=4:00 SMOOTH=YES

(I am not at a machine that I can easily do this on, so I can't tune
RES= to get what I want).

You may have to play around with the RES= keyword for IMGREMAP to get
just what you want.  You will also have to specify the TIME= to match
the specific images you want (e.g., 4:00, 4:30, etc.).

Tom