20010917: spheroid model used in McIDAS

------- Forwarded Message

To: address@hidden
Subject: spheroid model

Hi,

I have a question about the global coordinate system (or the Earth's
spheroid model) used in mcidas to navigate satellite data.

In geolat.for function as well as in the code used to navigate GOES
Imager data (in particular in NVINIgoes.for function) I have found
values of 6378.388 km for a semimajor axis (equatorial radius, Re),
6356.912 km for a semiminor axis (polar radius, Rp) and Rm=6371.221 for
the Earth's mean radius. In the function NV1INImsat (Is this a part of
a Meteosat navigation code ?) a different ellipsoid model is used with
Re=6378.155 and 1/297 for the ellipsoid flattening, hence Rp=6356.680
(Ellipsoid flattening, (f) is related to semimagor (Re) and semiminor
(Rp) axes as f=(Rp-Re)/Rp). Lastly, in NV1INIgvar function (Is this a
part of GOES Sounder navigation software ?) Re and Rp are taken equal
to 6378.137 and 6356.753 respectively. Thus ellipsoid flattening is
1/298.26. It is worth mentioning that only the latter model corresponds
to the one accepted as standard in the World Geodetic System of 1984
(WGS 84).

The question is whether my conclusion is really true, that different
ellipsoid models are used to navigate data from different satellite
sensors ?  What model is used to navigate NOAA AVHRR data ?  What is
the source for the first two models mentioned above ?

Thanks,

Peter

Peter Romanov
NOAA/NESDIS/ORA, WWB 712