20010814: MAP Error after image display from MCGUI

>From: LDM <address@hidden>

Josh,

>After installing McIDAS 7.8, the maps will no longer overlay imagery
>when I use the MCGUI interface.  I get the following information from
>the command window:
>
>IMGDISP RTNEXRAD/N0R ID=MTX LINELE= 230 230 PLACE=C MAG= 1 1 EU=BREF SU=X ALL=
> 11
>SF=YES REFRESH='EG GRA=(GRA);MAP FILE=OUTLCNTY OUTLUSAM MCOL=5 1 WID=2 1
>GRA=(GRA);BAR (GRA) SU=X X ORIENT=VER;TE ?LASTFRM (GRA)'
>Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 481024
>IMGDISP: loaded frame  11
>EG GRA=  11 ;MAP FILE=OUTLCNTY OUTLUSAM MCOL=5 1 WID=2 1 GRA=  11 ;BAR   11
>SU=X X ORIENT=VER;TE ?LASTFRM   11
>IMGDISP: done
>EU: Restoring BREF.ET      to frame(s)=  11
>EU: Done
>Erased graphic frame(s) 11-11
>MAP:
>MAP: Invalid command keywords: MCOL=5 1
>MAP:
>MAP failed, rc=255

>From these three examples I can see that the keyword MCOL is not
>understood, but I am not sure what to do about that as it is coded into
>the GUI.
>
>Any idea what I am missing?

Here is what is going on.  The distribution you grabbed (I have since
updated it) has a routine in it that checks the keywords on a command
by command basis.  This keyword checking is controllable by the
setting of a System Key Table (SYSKEY.TAB) entry, meaning that you can
turn off the checking by simply running:

SYSVAL CHANGE 15 1

as the user 'mcidas' while having a REDIRECTion setup to locate the
copy of SYSKEY.TAB that is being updated by XCD and ldm-mcidas decoders
(/var/data/xcd and /var/data/mcidas in your case).  The new copy of
SYSKEY.TAB that goes out with the Unidata McIDAS-X distribution has
this value set so that keyword checking will be disabled.  Since you
have an existing McIDAS installation, and since your session(s) point
at the existing SYSKEY.TAB (through REDIRECTions), you will need
to change the value of entry 15 to a non-zero value (like 1).  By
making this change as the user 'mcidas' (who should have write access
to SYSKEY.TAB (as does 'ldm')), all users McIDAS sessions will ignore
keyword checking.

Right after the workshop I decided that this was such a hassle to explain
that I disable keyword checking in the code.  People who have grabbed
7.8 after August 9 do not have to run the 'SYSVAL CHANGE 15 1' invocation
to get things to work.

Please run the SYSVAL CHANGE command above and then immediately try
the image displays that were failing.

Sorry for the hassle.

Tom

>From address@hidden Tue Aug 14 17:17:17 2001