20010730: HDF to AREA (cont.)

>From: Darren Gallant <address@hidden>

Darren,

>I was attempting to create an areafile using the following command:
>
>./makearea.k test.vis 9999 10824 20792 0 1 0 255
>MAKEAREA - Begin
>./makearea.k: WRTARA ABORT---REFERENCE TO UNOPENED AREA= 10256
>./makearea.k: Program called abort
>
>Is my input file too big?

Yes.

>I looked at makearea.pgm and noticed the following
>declarations:
>      INTEGER     IBUF(10000),IDIR(64)
>      INTEGER*2   JBUF(20000)
>      CHARACTER*1 KBUF(40000)
>
>      EQUIVALENCE (IBUF,JBUF,KBUF)
>Aren't these too small for a Northern Hemisphere visible image?

They are certainly too small for the image you are trying to create.

>How big can I make these arrays? I know KBUF(65536) is its max under
>Solaris. Keeping the equivalence forces IBUF(16384) and JBUF(32768).
>This should be big enough.

This is a good place to start.

>How can I recompile makeare.pgm ?

Login as the user 'mcidas'; make the changes to makearea.pgm in the
mcidas7.7/src directory; and then type 'make makearea.k'.  Check
to make sure that the new binary is the one found in ~mcidas/bin
bo doing a long list of the file in ~mcidas/mcidas7.7/src and ~mcidas/bin.
If it is not the same file, then remove the one in ~mcidas/bin and
link the one in ~mcidas/mcidas7.7/src to ~mcidas/bin:

cd ~mcidas/mcidas7.7/src
rm ~mcidas/bin/makearea.k
ln makearea.pgm ~mcidas/bin

>Another question. Can I navigate a GOES image using makenav.k?

Unfortunately no.  The GOES navigation is quite complex.  There would
be too many parameters to have to enter in a program like maknav.k
to be useful.  When I discussed this in an earlier email, I suggested
that the software you are getting from MSFC/U Hawaii would probably
be the best starting point for creating the AREA.  I still think
that this would be the best approach.

Sorry I havn't responded to your earlier email, but I am frantically
preparing for the McIDAS workshop which starts one week from today.

Tom