20010725: Number of McIDAS workstations

>From:  Dee Wade <address@hidden>

Dee,

>We are re-evaluating the pricing structure for the MUG and would like to
>know how many computers you have McIDAS installed on.
>
>If you have a larger number (i.e., greater than 10), you do not need to be
>100% accurate.

That is good since it is impossible for us to know exactly how many machines
have McIDAS loaded on them at our university sites.

>It is important that I get this information very soon.
>Thank you in advance for your help.

OK, make of this what you will:

As of July 6, 68 sites had downloaded Unidata McIDAS-X 7.7x from our
passworded FTP site.  If each site was using McIDAS on only one
machine, then the Unidata community would be using about 70 copies (68
+ at least two at the UPC).  Many sites have McIDAS loaded on multiple
workstations; many have only one box.  So, the number of installations
in use could range anywhere from 70 to 150, but I have no way of
knowing the exact number.

Tom

>From address@hidden Wed Jul 25 13:24:37 2001
>Subject: Re: 20010725: Number of McIDAS workstations