20010621: Urgent request for McIDAS assistance (cont.)

>From: Arlene Laing <address@hidden>

Arlene,

>Muitissimo obrigado pra sua resposta rapida!  Haines.bat esta
>funcionando.  Voce do genio de McIDAS!
>
>[Thank you very, very much for your quick response.  Haines.bat is
>working.   YOu are the MciDAS genius.]

Why thank you ;-)

>See below for comments on the SFCCON.

OK.

>ate mais, (see you later)

Hope your trip is going well.

re: add REDIRECTion for GRID000* to your McIDAS working directory
>So added, so worked the batch job.

Super.

re: PTCON invocation for RH bombing
>It may have been a problem of too few data points on the FL map (prior
>image navigation).  It worked with the US map.

OK, good.

>Also SFCCON does not contour RH but SFCPLOT plots the RH values.  RH is
>not on the SFCCON parameter list.  An oversight?

Hmm... yes, now I see that this is the case.  I also see that the calculation
of RH is, in fact, a defined parameter in the context file, SFCPLOT.CORE.
RH should be added to the context file for SFCCON, SFCCON.CORE, so it can
be contoured.  For you to do this so you can use SFCCON RH ..., do the
following:

<login as the user 'mcidas'>
cd data
<edit SFCPLOT.CORE>
  clip out the definition for RH:

# EXAMPLE of DERIVED PARAMETERS. Derived parameters are values computed
# from the stored raw data. Below is an example illustrating the definition
# of the derived parameter RH (Relative Humidity). Note the use of the
# keyword MATH=. The entry for MATH= defines the equation used to compute
# the derive parameter. Variables within the equation are denoted by
# Pnn, where nn is a number from 1 to 99. These variables are assigned
# to raw data parameters by explicitly stating their data type linkage.
# In this example there are 2 variables used to compute RH, Temperature
# and Dew Point. For each of the data types listed (ISFC, SVCA, ...) the
# variables (P1 and P2) are assigned to raw data parameters.
RH     UNIT=% \
       FORMAT=I3 \
       MATH='EXP(5423*(1/P1-1/P2))*100'\
       ISFC='P1=T[K]' 'P2=TD[K]'\
       SVCA='P1=T[K]' 'P2=TD[K]'\
       SYN ='P1=T[K]' 'P2=TD[K]'\
       ISHP='P1=T[K]' 'P2=TD[K]'

  and add the exact same lines to SFCCON.CORE:

After doing this, you should be able to run:

SFCCON RH <map> <time>

(I just added the RH definition to the 7.8 version of SFCCON.CORE and then
did a plot over Colorado; all worked well).

I note, however, that the calculation that will be done by the addition
of the RH definition in SFCCON.CORE is the same thing you had in your
original BATCH file.  This means that adding RH to SFCCON.CORE should
not help you in the attempt to do the RH contour that you were having
problems with.  It will make the invocation step in your BATCH file
easier, however.

>Thanks again for your help and the quick response to my message.

No problem.  Talk to you later...

Tom