20010618: Urgent request for McIDAS assistance

>From: Arlene Laing <address@hidden>

Arlene,

>May I disturb you and beg for an urgent response because I am overseas
>(Brazil) and having some problems creating graphics for a talk I am giving
>next Monday.

Sure.

>The batch file (for the haines index) is not working on my archived data.

OK.

>Please note that my next chance to check my messages is Wednesday night.

I will answer this ASAP just in case you get a chance to logon earlier.

>The first map with TDIF57 is plotted correctly then the job fails.  See
>text of mcidas session below.

>The grid file is created as listed:
>
>/usr/arlene/mcidas/data% ls -l GRI*
>-rw-rw-r--   1 arlene   arlene      11948 Jun 18 12:51 GRID0132

Hmm...  The file certainly has a current time stamp, but the BATCH file
is setup to write to GRID file 1, not GRID file 132.  The first question
is what is updating GRID0132?

>----------- START HAINES BATCH COMMAND  -----------------------
>
>BATCH hainesfl.bat
>IGU DEL 1 2
>IGU - done
>DSSERVE ADD MYDATA/GRIDS GRID 1 9999 TYPE=GRID "All GRID files
>Group/Descriptor         Type  Format & Range     RT Comment
>------------------------ ----- ------------------ -- --------------------
>
>MYDATA/GRIDS             GRID  GRID 1-9999           All GRID files
>DSSERVE: done
>SF 1
>EG
>Erased graphic frame(s) 1-1
>
>RAOBCON TDIF57 700 USA 0 1998170 DATASET=MYDATA/MAN0619 OUT=SCON
>MYDATA/GRIDS.1

See, right here you are telling RAOBCON to write to MYDATA/GRIDS.1.
Given the definition of MYDATA/GRIDS above, the actual GRID file
should be GRID0001.  I am willing to bet that your McIDAS session
has a REDIRECTion for GRID0001 and that file is not writable by you.
The quickest way to test this wager is to add a REDIRECTion
for GRID0001 to your McIDAS-X working directory, /usr/arlene/mcidas/data:

REDIRECT ADD GRID0001 "/usr/arlene/mcidas/data

Looking through HAINES.BAT, I see that it will also want to read/write
to/from GRID0002.  You should, therefore, also add a REDIRECTion for
it.  The easiest way to do both is:

REDIRECT ADD GRID000* "/usr/arlene/mcidas/data

>Accessing Dataset Name = MYDATA/MAN0619.ALL
>Number of data points input to objective analysis:  85
>PTCON:  Done
>RAOBCON - Done
>GRDLIST MYDATA/GRIDS.1 NUM=ALL
>GRDLIST: No grid found matching search conditions
>GRDLIST - done
>GRDLIST failed, RC=2

GRDLIST is telling us that it can't find GRID file GRID0001.

>BATCH: BATCH job abandon /usr/arlene/mcidas/data/hainesfl.bat
>BATCH: BATCH done /usr/arlene/mcidas/data/hainesfl.bat
>_____________END HAINES BATCH______________________

>Another problem with plotting contours.  I have used the same batch file
>to create contour plots before and this is the first time that this problem
>has occurred:
>
>--------------START SFC CONTOUR BATCH --------------------
>BATCH jun19sfc.bat
>sf 1
>IMGDISP IR980619.1 1 LATLON= 27.5 83 MAG=2 EU=MB REFRESH='EG; MAP H'
>Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 81140
>IMGDISP: loaded frame  1
>EG; MAP H
>
>IMGDISP: done
>PTDISP MYDATA/SFC0619 PAR=WIND FORMAT=FLAG SEL='TIME 13; DAY 98170' NAV=C
>EU: Restoring MB.ET        to frame(s)=   1
>
>EU: Done
>PTDISP - done
>Erased graphic frame(s) 1-1
>
>PTCON MYDATA/SFC0619 PAR='PRE[MB]' COL=2 SEL='TIME 13; DAY 98170' NAV=C CINT=1
>MAP: Completed frame 1
>Number of data points input to objective analysis:  270
>PTCON:  Done
>
>PTCON MYDATA/SFC0619 PAR='RH=(EXP(5423*(1/P1-1/P2))*100)' P2=TD[K] P1=T[K]
>DASH=ALL COL=5 SEL='TIME 13; DAY 98170' NAV=C CINT=4 LINT=2
>Program terminated, segmentation violation
>PTCON: No data found matching search conditions
>
>PTCON:  Done
>PTCON failed, RC=1
>BATCH: BATCH job abandon /usr/arlene/mcidas/data/jun19sfc.bat
>BATCH: BATCH done /usr/arlene/mcidas/data/jun19sfc.bat
>-------------------END SFC CONTOUR BATCH-------------------

This problem looks like there is bad data in either the T or TD fields
for the times you are trying to plot.  I am suspicious of this because
of the 1/P1 and 1/P2 terms in the equation.

Since SFCPLOT and SFCCON (which run PTDISP and PTCON, respectively) can
both plot RH, I would suggest changing your BATCH file to run SFCCON
directly:

SFCCON RH OLAY 13 1998170 DAT=MYDATA/SFC0619

It could be that the subroutine that will calculate RH in this case will
trap missing data and, therefore, produce some usable output.

Let me know if these comments don't get you going.

Tom