20010521: Unidata McIDAS-X 7.705 addendum modifications

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

>I have got it on. Wow! I like the ADDE-ized stuff. And, multiple backup
>machines to boot!

Excellent.  I will be sending out an email to McIDAS sites requesting
volunteers for acting as each other's near term backup sites via ADDE
(i.e., add to the list of server sites in the ADDE DATALOC selector).
Hopefully, users will be willing to act to help each other out.  After
all, it is the Unidata way :-)

>One thing I'd like to see: the model display on the
>UNIDATA.MNU. Can't the ETA, RUC, European and UKMET be added?

This has always been a very weak/non-existent part of any interface
provided for McIDAS.  This will change, but not in the Fkey menu.  My
plan is to basically put the Fkey menu to rest as the MCGUI evolves
into what it can be.

Have you tried the MCGUI or were you only playing with the updated Fkey
menu?  If not, try the following when starting a McIDAS-X session:

mcidas config

Select the MCGUI radiobutton and then start a session.

The drawback with this version of the MCGUI is the continued reliance
on non-ADDE access to image and most point source data.  The things
that have been ADDEized, however, are meteorograms, fronts, profiler
time-height cross sections, weather watch boxes, and
soundings/hodographs.  I am currently working on ADDEization of the
image and point source plot/contour displays and then will be biting
off grids, weather text, and vertical cross sections (both
observational and model).

Please send any all comments about the MCGUI back to me so I roll in
needed features!

Tom