20010515: McIDAS-X 7.7 build problems (cont.)

>From: Jason Law <address@hidden>

Jason,

>       Sorry to bother you again.  I now have gotten the $HOME directory
>correct, it was a problem in the set up of the mcidas user account.  I am
>know having a problem getting 'make mcx' to work.  I am not extremely
>familiar with unix so it may be a simple mistake on my part, but the error
>I'm getting is this:
>
>> pwd
>/home/pele1/mcidas/mcidas7.7/src
>> make mcx
>make: Command not found.

This indicates that the PATH setting (in ~/.cshrc) does not include the
directory that contains the executable 'make'.  On my Solaris SPARC
system, I define PATH to be:

set path=( $MCGUI . /opt/SUNWmotif/bin $OPENWINHOME/bin  \
        /opt/SUNWspro/bin /usr/ccs/bin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/local/bin  \
        /usr/hosts /etc /usr/etc /usr/ucb /usr/local/bin/X11 \
        /opt/SunSolve/bin /usr/local/gnu/bin )

'make' should be found in the /usr/ccs/bin directory.  The compilers should
be found in the /opt/SUNWspro/bin directory.

It appears that the restore process left you in a state that is requiring
more work than a fresh reinstall/setup of the 'mcidas' account.

>Again, thank you for all of your help!

Sorry for your problems.  The McIDAS build process should be very simple.
you may want to go back and review the Install documents for Unidata
McIDAS.  They will allow you to check all of the needed settings
in your shell definition file (I used the C shell syntax for the path
setting above).  Once your environment is correct, you should be able
to make the distribution with no problems.  If you continue to struggle
and find yourself starting to despair (I know how this is), I am willing
to login to your machine as 'mcidas' and set things up so you can get
moving again.

Tom