20010511: McIDAS-X 7.7 build problems

>From: Jason Law <address@hidden>

Jason,

>       I am having a problem with the MciDAS-X installation.  Inthe build
>stage of the installation I am two errors after trying to run 'make mcx:
>
>/home/pele1/mcidas/mcidas7.7/src> make mcx
>make: ERROR: no directory: //mcidas
>make: ERROR: no directory: //mcidas/data
>make: If your environment is OK, try 'make rootdirs'
>make: *** [env_dir] Error 1

It really does sound like your McINST_ROOT Unix environment variable is
incorrect.

>I set my environment for the home directory /home/pele1/mcidas (pele1 is
>simply the name of the hard drive).

OK, this would mean that you would set McINST_ROOT to be /home/pele1/mcidas.
For simplicity, this should be set in the shell definition file
(e.g., ~/.cshrc for C shell users; ~/.profile for Bourne shell users, etc.).

Since the unpacking routine 'mcinstall' requires this environment variable
to be set before it will run, it seems likely that you defined McINST_ROOT
once, and then logged out and then back on and did not reset it.

>The directory /home/pele1/mcidas/data
>does exist but its telling me it doesn't.

Again, makefile _requires_ that McINST_ROOT be defined properly.

>I am unsure of what I to do,

Redefine McINST_ROOT and retry your build:

setenv McINST_ROOT /home/pele1/mcidas
cd home/pele1/mcidas/mcidas7.7/src
make mcx

>any help you can give is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

If you continue to have problems, please send along the output from
'env'.  This will tell me the values of environment variable settings
in your Unix session.

Tom