20010509: imgdisp.k in ROUTE Postprocess BATCH invocation (cont.)

>From: Brian Colle <address@hidden>

Brian,

re: you installed McIDAS under the ldm account?
>yes.

re: you do/do not have a 'mcidas' account?
>Yes, I do have a mcidas account.

Hmm...  This may be part of your problem.  McIDAS is designed to be
installed in the 'mcidas' account.  Since you have a 'mcidas' account,
but McIDAS is installed in the 'ldm' account, you may be running into a
situration where McIDAS is looking for something that it expects to
exist (it creates a default MCPATH based on the HOME directory for
'mcidas' in /etc/passwd).

I would recommend that you either install McIDAS under the 'mcidas'
account, or remove that account all together.

>Hmmm... My .mctmp directory is empty. What sort of files should exist in
>the .mctmp directory on ~ldm?

What happens is that each time a McIDAS session is started (and an
invocation of a ROUTE PostProcess is a "mini" McIDAS session, a
subdirectory under ~/.mctmp is created.  The name of this directory is
the handle for the shared memory segment that is created for the
session.  The design is that files like FrameN.M, FRAMENH.001, etc. get
created in this .mctmp subdirectory and are removed when the session
exits.  The fact that you don't have anything in your .mctmp directory
means that the files that are being created there each time a ROUTE
PostProcess is run are properly being deleted when the PostProcess
(remember, this is a mini McIDAS session) finishes.

>Everything below (umask, MCPATH in .cshrc, ...) checks out ok I think, so
>hopefully this is the problem?

.mctmp should be empty while things are not running.  If you happened to
look at .mctmp while a PostProcess is running, you would see one or
more subdirectories and a set of files in it(them) something like:

%ls ~/.mctmp/55552/
Frame11.0    Frame1.0      BASICVV1   Frame16.0  Frame5.0  Frame9.0
FRAMENH.001  GRAPHICS.KEY  FRAMED     Frame2.0   Frame6.0  STRTABLE
Frame12.0    Frame14.0     Frame10.0  Frame3.0   Frame7.0  TERMCHAR.001
Frame13.0    Frame17.0     Frame15.0  Frame4.0   Frame8.0  mcclean.lock

This is a listing from a McIDAS session that has 17 frames.  A typical
ROUTE PostProcess has one frame, so its contents would look like:

ls ~/.mctmp/55552/
Frame1.0     BASICVV1      FRAMENH.001     GRAPHICS.KEY    FRAMED
TERMCHAR.001 mcclean.lock

>Thanks again,

If you can't get to the bottom of this behavior (by installing McIDAS
under the 'mcidas' account or eliminating the 'mcidas' account), I would
be happy to logon to your machine and poke around for something that
is not obvious.

Tom