20010504: McIDAS and Matlab (cont.)

>From: Jason Law <address@hidden>

Jason,

A McIDAS user in Spain just sent a response to Tom Whittaker's response
to your note to mcidas-users, but I don't know if you are a member of that
list.

Here it is (just in case you really did not get it):

  From: "M.A. Martinez" <address@hidden>
  Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 17:16:36 +0000
  To: address@hidden
  Subject: Re: McIDAS and Matlab

  Dear Tom:

  I have made in PV-WAVE but in Matlab must be similar

        The easy form is to use the McIDAS AXFORM command. With the AXFORM
  command you make one binary file with only the matrix data, and you can
  select the unit, and the format (1 byte int, 2 byte, ascii or bin  etc).
  The dimensions and type of data are explained in the .HDR See the help
  of the AXFORM for more details. Once you have produces the AXFORM in
  matlab you allocate a matrix the same kind and dimension of the data,
  open the file and read it. Eg. your AREA0123 is 500 line and 800 element
                AXFORM 123 goes_stt

        in matlab
                data=fltarr(500,800)
                openru,unit,filename='$HOME/mcidas/data/goes_stt
                readu,unit,data

        You can also made directly one reader easily. Making something like
  this: open directly the area file, create one header+nav+cal long
  integer array, read the header with the binary utility, create the
  integer or byte matrix data, read the matrix.

  Tom Whittaker wrote:

  > There is a Java-based converter for McIDAS images that will produce
brightness> values, and (optionally) latitude/longitude values for each data
point...all in
  > netCDF format.
  >
  > You can get the details at:
  >
  > http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/visit/netcdf/
  >
  > tom
  >
  > Jason Law wrote:
  > >
  > > McIDAS Users,
  > >         I am trying to access GOES sea surface temperature data that is
  > > saved as McIDAS image area format on 8 mm tape.  I am in the process of
  > > becoming a McIDAS user so that I can view them with the correct software,
  > > but until I get it installed is anyone aware of any way to read in the
  > > image data into Matlab for viewing?  I ask this because I have done all of
  > > my previous processing algorithms for other data in Matlab and would like
  > > to stay within that software package.  Do I have to open all of the files
  > > in McIDAS and save them as something Matlab reads (like NetCDF) or is
  > > there an alternative.  I have 6 years of daily data, with up to 24 images
  > > per day so naturally I need to cut down on computation time and I need to
  > > automate the process.  Any help you can give me regarding this problem is
  > > greatly appreciated.
  > >                                                 Jay Law

I hope that this helps!

Tom