20010503: McIDAS on Red Hat 7 (cont.)

>From: Wahner Paul Contr CSR4500 <address@hidden>

Paul,

>Well it didn't take me long to get to the next problem.
>
>Following is the error generated at the "install.gui" part of the makefile:
>
>cd /home/mcidas/lib/gui && \
>                       echo 'auto_mkindex . *.tcl; exit' |
>/home/mcidas/tcl/bin/tclsh
>/home/mcidas/tcl/bin/tclsh: error while loading shared libraries:
>libtcl8.0.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>make: *** [install.gui] Error 127

This error is what should have been fixed by the build of Tcl/Tk with the
modified tclcomp.sh script.  The questions to you now are:

o when you copied the new tclcomp.sh script to ~mcidas/mcidas7.7/src
  had you already gotten to the point of failure in the Tcl/Tk part
o are you using the SSEC way of building (i.e., the shell script)

If the answer to the first question is yes, then you would have had
to remove the Tcl/Tk stuff that had been built to this point

If the answer to the second question is yes, then the new copy of
tclcomp.sh was overwritten by one in the SSEC distribution since the
SSEC build approach unpacks the distriubtion again.  The
correct procedure is:

cd mcidas7.7/src
<copy new tclcomp.sh script here>
cd ../tcl/unix
make distclean
cd ../../tk/unix
make distclean
cd ../../src
make all

>Questions:
>1.     It appears as thought all of the Tcl/Tk8.0 from McIDAS is being
>built. Is that supposed to work that way?

Yes.

>It says it can't find the file but
>it is being installed where the makefile is supposed to install it.

Yes.

>2.     My Red Hat has a binary version of Tcl/Tk8.3. Is this the same thing
>you worked with?

Yes.

>3.     Did you try getting the 8.2 or 8.3 distributions and inserting them
>in the place of the 8.0 directories of the McIDAS distribution?

No. This doesn't work.  There is something in the cursor tracking code
added to McIDAS for the GUI that does not work with Tcl/Tk versions newer
than 8.0.3; the version bundled with McIDAS

The problem you are running into is that the McIDAS install location for
Tcl/Tk shared libraries has not been "burned" into the tclsh executable
built during the McIDAS build.  My changes to tclcomp.sh force this to
happen, but there needs to be a clean build of the Tcl/Tk component
for this to happen.  The error output you included above shows that
this was not done.  The remedy is to follow the steps I outlined above.

>4.     Are there job opportunities in your area for a jack of all trades
>type person?

There are always jobs in the Boulder area for software types.  Unidata
does not have any job openings at the moment, and it doesn't look like
there will be for awhile.  You should check out the Human Resources
section of the UCAR web pages.  All positions in the organization are
advertised there.

>Thanks for your help!

Give the steps above a try and let me know what happens.

Tom