20010501: higher resolution global composite IR images (cont.)

>From: Edward Hindman <address@hidden>

Ward,

>Tom:  I carefully inspected the rectilinear and the Mollweide and I now
>agree with you, the rectilinear is the better projection for Nepal.  Does
>the SSEC archive the AREA8760 images and if so where?

I don't believe that they archive this composite, but I will email them
to make sure.  The unfortunate fact is that _if_ they archive them, then
getting them will probably cost real dollars.

re: looking for a source of GMS imagery
>I thought the GMS data was part of both the rectilinear and Mollweide
>images.

It is.

>What would be gained by stand-alone GMS images?

Higher spatial and temporal resolution.  Also, more bands (wavelength
channels).

>As I remember, they only image the eastern half of Nepal.

I was not aware of this.  I was operating under the assumption that
GMS would cover Nepal well enough to be superior to the composite
that you have been using.

>Thank you for your help with finding higher-resolution geostationary
>satellite imagery of Nepal.  Are you aware of the BAMS article "A
>real-time global half-hourly pixel-resolution infrared dataset and its
>applications" by Janowiak, et al., February 2001?

No, I was not aware of this article, but I will certainly check it out
tomorrow.

>Would the data this
>paper refers to be a source of high-resolution data for Nepal?

Could be.  I'll know more after reading the article.

Got to run..

Tom