20010416: Plymouth McIDAS ADDE Server

>From: Jim Koermer <address@hidden>

Jim,

>Late last week we upgrades our BSD OS on snow.plymouth.edu. However, I
>can't seem to get ADDE back up. I thought I followed procedures for
>setting this up (e.g. inetd.conf, syslog.conf, and hosts.allow)
>modifications, but things still don't seem to be working. Could you take
>a look? The previous access stuff is still the same.

I logged onto snow and noticed something that was odd:

There are a LOT of new entries in /etc/services.  In particular, there
are new services that have the same port number that the ADDE compressed
(port 503) and uncompressed (port 500) want to use.

I took the liberty of commenting out the process in /etc/services that
conflict with the ADDE use:

%cat /etc/sevices
mcserv          500/tcp      # McIDAS ADDE port
mccompress      503/tcp      # McIDAS ADDE compression port
#isakmp         500/tcp
#isakmp         500/udp
stmf            501/tcp
stmf            501/udp
asa-appl-proto  502/tcp
asa-appl-proto  502/udp
#intrinsa       503/tcp
#intrinsa       503/udp

I then looked at the entries in /etc/inetd.conf and saw that they were
not quite correct.  To update them, I did the following (as 'root'):

cd ~mcidas
sh ./mcinet7.7.sh uninstall mcadde
sh ./mcinet7.7.sh install mcadde

All this did was first uninstall the ADDE changes to /etc/services and
/etc/inetd.conf; reinstall them; and then send a HUP to inetd.

After doing the above, I can successfully access snow via ADDE (get
information, list and display images; create a display through your
Make your own McIDAS GINI page; etc.)

There is one thing that is different that I should point out.  Perviously,
ADDE access was wrapped by tcpd.  This was why an entry was needed in
/etd/hosts.allow.  Now, there is no tcpd wrapper, and I can't find tcpd
on your system (a 'locate tcpd' doesn't reveal its hiding place).  If
you can locate tcpd (or reinstall it), we should redo the /etc/inetd.conf
entries so that it is used for the ADDE stuff.  I can do this as soon
as you point me to the location of tcpd.

Tom

>From address@hidden Mon Apr 16 11:01:56 2001
>Subject: Re: [Fwd: 20010416: Plymouth McIDAS ADDE Server]
>To: Jim Koermer <address@hidden>
>CC: address@hidden

"tcpd" is no longer need on FreeBSD as of 4.0.  The functionality of TCPD
is wrapped into "inetd".   See /etc/hosts.allow if you want to deny access
to IP's.  You would need to put the rule before the:

ALL : ALL : allow

line though...

Ted