20010405: compiling mcidas 7.70

>From: Kenji Matsuura <address@hidden>

Kenji,

>Compiling mcidas 7.7 failed with the following makelog output. Our
>platform is IRIX 6.5.
>
>davinci[kenjisan][~ ]> uname -R
>6.5 6.5.8m
>davinci[kenjisan][~ ]> uname -a
>IRIX64 davinci 6.5 04191225 IP19
>davinci[kenjisan][~ ]> cc -version
>MIPSpro Compilers: Version 7.2.1.3m

Thanks for this information.  The other piece of information I could
use is the version of McIDAS.  What is the output of:

cat ~mcidas/data/VERSION.TXT

>If you have any suggestion, I would appreciate it.

I extracted servutil.c out of the copy of the 7.7 distribution that is
currently in the unix/770 directory of our passworded McIDAS FTP directory
and see that the version of servutil.c looks different than the output
you sent along:

>Thank you very much.
>
>========================
>./mccomp -O -vendor -I. -I../netcdf/libsrc -I../jpeg -I../zlib -c
>servutil.c
>rm -f servutil.o
>cc -c -woff 1209,1233 -O -I. -I../netcdf/libsrc -I../jpeg -I../zlib
>servutil.c
>"servutil.c", line 1495: error(1515): a value of type "char *" cannot be
>          assigned to an entity of type "char"
>      e = p + strlen( string ) - 1;
>        ^
>
>"servutil.c", line 1497: error(1042): operand types are incompatible
>("char *"
>          and "char")
>      while ( (p <= e)  &&
>                 ^
>
>2 errors detected in the compilation of "servutil.c".
>compile servutil.c:             FAILED
>
>===========================

This output is indicating that the variable 'e' is defined as a 'char'
when it should be defined as a 'char *'.  This problem was corrected in
one of the addenda that has been released for 7.7.  I see that
you (U. Delaware) grabbed 7.7 in December:

climate.geog.udel.edu         Mon Dec 18 11:21:16 2000

Since there have been four addendum upgrades since the end of December,
I recommend that you grab and install the addendum fixes (the McIDAS
addenda are cumulative: each new addenda includes all of the mods since
the previous addenda).

Information on McIDAS addenda are available in:

Unidata McIDAS Addendum Information
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/770/mcx/addenda.html

This page has links to the various addenda information pages and a link
to how to grab and install an addendum.

Please let me know if upgrading to the latest addendum doesn't fix this
problem for you.

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden Fri Apr  6 08:44:08 2001
>Subject: Re: 20010405: compiling mcidas 7.70

Tom,

Thank you for your quick reply.  I downloaded newer version and then I
could compile without any problem.   I should have looked at your web
page more carefully.

Thank you again.

Kenji Matsuura