20010401: creating a mosaic in McIDAS (cont.)

>From: address@hidden (Chris Hennon)

Chris,

>Thank you for putting so much effort into helping one measly grad student.

No problem.  Presumably you won't be a measly grad student forever :-)

>Other work has distracted me for a while but I have finally put some
>effort into making these images.
>
>I followed your detailed instructions using my own data and have made good
>progress.  I have successfully created a composite image of goes east and
>meteosat7 by using your area.1234 as a base.  I remapped the goes-8 image
>first, and then remapped the meteosat image into the area second.  The
>resulting image is attached to this email.

OK, I see it.

>I noticed that the metsat image did in fact blow out a good portion of the
>goes image as you said.  Also note the white swath at the west end of the
>meteosat image -

Yes, that is strange.  It is as if the METEOSAT image limb is somehow
munged.  Any chance of me getting access to your METEOSAT image?  ADDE
access is preferable.

>I assume that is something that can be wiped out once I
>do things like specify a longitude cutoff point for each image.

Yes.

>Optimally, it would be nice to have the goes coverage out to about the
>midway point (51.5 W) and meteosat image east of that.

This is pretty easy to do, and there is already a McBASI script in
the distribution that you can use to do it... with a little work.

>So I guess I'm
>ready for the next step, if you would be so kind to provide a little more
>guidance.

OK, here goes.  There are three steps:

1) the first thing is to create a base image whose center longitude is
   the point you want to use as the GOES-East/METEOSAT intersection

   Let's stick with the topography images in the distribution for use
   as a base image.  The one you already used is MYDATA/TOPO.13.  This
   image has a METEOSAT navigation with a center longitude of 100W.
   Let's take this image and create a remap base that has a center
   longitude of 51.5W:

   First, make a copy of the western hemisphere topography image:

   IMGCOPY MYDATA/TOPO.13 MYDATA/IMAGES.2000 SIZE=ALL

   Now, modify the subsatellite point in the copy, MYDATA/IMAGES.2000
   (the dataset group/descriptor MYDATA/IMAGES should exist based on
   our previous email).

   LWU POKE AREA2000 513000 70
                      ^_______ 51 degrees, 30 minutes West longitude

2) use the McBASI script GEWCOMP1.MCB as an exmaple of how to generate
   a composite

   cd $MCDATA
   cp ~mcidas/data/GEWCOMP1.MCB GEWCOMP2.MCB

   <edit GEWCOMP2.MCB>

   o change all occurrances of GEWCOMP1 to GEWCOMP2
     change all occurrances of GOES-West to Meteosat
     change all occurrances of TOPO/QUAD to MYDATA/IMAGES.2000

   o change:

45  KEYIN "IMGFILT MYDATA/IMAGES.2000 ";S$;" FILTER=REPLACE 0 91 2455 89 2505
SIZE=ALL DEV=NNN"
    KEYIN "IMGFILT ";S$;" ";M$;" FILTER=REPLACE 255 91 2455 2506 4901 SIZE=ALL
DEV=NNN"

     to:

45  KEYIN "IMGFILT MYDATA/IMAGES.2000 ";S$;" FILTER=REPLACE 0 99 X 89 2505
SIZE=ALL DEV=NNN"
    KEYIN "IMGFILT ";S$;" ";M$;" FILTER=REPLACE 255 99 X 2506 X SIZE=ALL
DEV=NNN"

   o change:

    KEYIN "IMGCHA ";O$;" SS=70 BAND=";B$;" DAY=";D$;" TIME=";T$;" MEMO='GOES
East-West Composite' DEV=NNN"

    to:

    KEYIN "IMGCHA ";O$;" SS=70 BAND=";B$;" DAY=";D$;" TIME=";T$;" MEMO='GOES
East-Meteosat Composite' DEV=NNN"

3) use the new McBASI script to create your composite:

   HELP GEWCOMP2

GEWCOMP2.MCB - Create composite of GOES-East and METEOSAT images

Name:    GEWCOMP2.MCB

Purpose: 1) Create composite of GOES-East and Meteosat images in
            a north-western quadraspheric projection

Invocation:
     RUN wwww eeee oooo hh d mmmm ssss hh FILE=GEWCOMP2.MCB
           |    |   |    | |  |   |_____ ADDE dataset scratch file
           |    |   |    | |  |_________ ADDE dataset mask file
           |    |   |    | |____________ display composite (Y/N)?
           |    |   |    |______________ nominal hour for composite
           |    |   |___________________ ADDE dataset output member
           |    |_______________________ ADDE dataset GOES-East member
           |____________________________ ADDE dataset GOES-West member

   Run GEWCOMP2:

   GEWCOMP2 RTIMAGES/GE-IR MSAT/IR MYDATA/IMAGES.1234 1 Y

   or:

   RUN RTIMAGES/GE-IR MSAT/IR MYDATA/IMAGES.1234 1 Y FILE=GEWCOMP2.MCB

   Replace RTIMAGES/GE-IR with the dataset group/descriptor for your
   GOES-East image;  replace MSAT/IR with the group/descriptor for
   your Meteosat image; replace MYDATA/IMAGES.1234 with the
   group/descriptor.position for your desired output image; replace
   '1' with the hour of the composite you want (this McBASI script)
   attempts to composite images that were scanned in the same hour;
   this is the 'hh' above).

>Thanks a million!

Let me know if you run into any problems.

Tom