20010326: McIDAS-X 7.7 ASTAT command

>From: address@hidden

Donna,

>We are having trouble getting the ASTAT command to work in mcidas 7,7
>The command line we are using is
>
>ASTAT CIR EC STA=MCI RAD=100
>
>The error message is
>No dataset name for frame
>We have no trouble with this command in McIdas 7.6

The 7.7 version of ASTAT is ADDEized.  You need to load the image you
want to interogate with the ADDE IMGDISP command instead of the
non-ADDE DF command.

The absolute easiest way to transition to use of the ADDE way of doing
things is as follows.  In this discussion, I am assuming that your
image(s) are in AREA file format.

o first, if you havn't already done so, create the ADDE dataset MYDATA/IMAGES:

  DSSERVE ADD MYDATA/IMAGES         AREA    1 9999 "All AREA files

  This creates a dataset of type AREA in which there is a one-to-one
  mapping between dataset position and AREA file name.

o assuming that the image you loaded previously was in AREA file 1234
  (file name AREA1234), you would load it with:

  IMGDISP MYDATA/IMAGES.1234 1 SF=YES STA=MCI

  This is in comparison to the non-ADDE way of loading the image:

  SF 1
  DF 1234 1 EC MCI

o run the ASTAT command exactly as you listed above:

  ASTAT CIR EC STA=MCI RAD=100

>We also notice that the FORM keyword is no longer included under 7.7

I hadn't noticed this before you mentioned it, but I see that is correct.

If the FORM= output is  crutial to your analyses, you can probably
resurrect the 7.6x version of ASTAT and continue to use it.  A caution
if you decide to do this is the general comment that McIDAS support for
non-ADDE ways of displaying imagery are scheduled to be dropped in the
next release.  If the capabilities of ADDEized versions of commands
like ASTAT appear to be dimished, please let me know so I can interact
with SSEC about putting the missing capabilities back in.

Tom