20010131: update of NEXR ADDE servers for NWS FTP NIDS produc ts (cont.)

>From: "Hoeth, Brian" <address@hidden>

Brian,

>Just wanted to update you ...

OK, I appreciate it.

>I have ftp'd some radar data (the low level layer composite reflectivity
>max) from the NWS anonymous FTP server and after setting up the dataset name
>for it, I was able to list the data with no problems.

Sounds good so far.

>I also set up an
>"alias" to display it and it DOES display.

Sounding better and better.

>There seems to be a scaling
>difference between this data and the NOAAPort data though because in order
>for me to get the data to look "reasonable", I had to put a MAG=4 for the
>IMGDISP.

The layer reflectivity products are quite a bit smaller than the base
reflectivity products.  For example, the base reflectivity at tilt 1
product is 460x460:

IMGLIST RTNEXRAD/N0R ID=FTG FORM=EXP
Image file directory listing for:RTNEXRAD/N0R
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center      Res (km)   Image_Size
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon    Lat   Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ----  ----- ----- ------------
 119  RADAR          1 FEB 01032  02:49:00     FTG
    Band: 1  Base Reflectivity                           1.0   1.0   460 x  460
     proj: 1234 created: 2001032  24937  memo: Base Reflct 0.50 DEG Clear Air
     type:NEXR     cal type:RAW
     offsets:  data=    1024 navigation=  256 calibration=  768 auxillary=  768
     doc length:   0   cal length:   0   lev length:   0 PREFIX=   0
     valcod:          0 zcor:  0 avg-smp: N
     start yyddd: 2001032  start time: 24930  start scan:    0
     lcor:    1  ecor:     1  bytes per pixel: 1  ss:  7

IMGLIST: done

while the layer reflectivity product at tilt 1 is 116x116:

IMGLIST ......./..... ID=FTG FORM=EXP
Image file directory listing for:WNEXRAD/LREF1
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center      Res (km)   Image_Size
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon    Lat   Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ----  ----- ----- ------------
  17  RADAR          1 FEB 01032  02:39:00     FTG
    Band: 3  Layer Reflectivity                          1.0   1.0   116 x  116
     proj: 1234 created: 2001032  23944  memo: Layer Reflct 11 - 24 Clear Air
     type:NEXR     cal type:RAW
     offsets:  data=    1024 navigation=  256 calibration=  768 auxillary=  768
     doc length:   0   cal length:   0   lev length:   0 PREFIX=   0
     valcod:          0 zcor:  0 avg-smp: N
     start yyddd: 2001032  start time: 23937  start scan:    0
     lcor:    1  ecor:     1  bytes per pixel: 1  ss:  7

IMGLIST: done

(I commented out the dataset name since I a listing values from a WSI
transmitted layer reflectivity at tilt 1 product, and our contract with
WSI prohibits access by folks outside of UCAR.)

So, your having to blow-up the lref1 product by a factor of 4 matches
the difference in size of these products.

>Other than that though, the data looks good !!!

Seems to me that it all looks nominal (to use an old NASA phrase) ;-)

>Thanks again for getting me the "nexrupdate".

Actually, I messed up that tar file.  You really should grab the latest
updates to the code and install them:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd ~/mcidas7.704
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> your_email_address
  cd pub/mcidas
  binary
  get nexrad.tar.Z
  quit
zcat nexrad.tar.Z | tar xvf -
cd src
make nexradir nexraget

<verify that the newly built versions of nexradir and nexraget are
linked to the ~mcidas/bin directory>

The modifications are basically what I told you about last time (but
the last tar file did not include nexradir.cp or nexraget.cp) with
a few minor updates.

Cheers.

Tom