20010123: McIDAS-X display on DEC OSF/1 console; xdpyinfo results

>From: "Alliss, Randall J." <address@hidden>

Randy,

>nice to talk with you last week.

Same here.

>I am enclosing 2 files (nimbus which is the server) which contain the
>results of xdpyinfo of the 2 alphas. Do you see anything in there that looks
>unusual.

Nothing about the xdpyinfo output from your build machine jumps out at
me.  It and the other machine are apparently using an 24-bit visual
for McIDAS:

NIMBUS.OUT:

  number of visuals:    22
  default visual id:  0x22
  visual:
    visual id:    0x22
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    24 planes
    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xff, 0xff00, 0xff0000
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits

The other machine is using an 8-bit visual:

WX.OUT:

  number of visuals:    2
  default visual id:  0x20
  visual:
    visual id:    0x20
    class:    PseudoColor
    depth:    8 planes
    available colormap entries:    256
    red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits

The fact that the machines X displays are configured differently leads
me to believe that the problem is not specifically related to running
or not running in 24-bit mode.  Without looking at the changes that
were made in 7.7 for better 24-bit mode support, I would venture to
guess that this problem should be an old one.  The fact that you have
never mentioned it before tells me otherwise, however.  Puzzling...

I built my 7.7x distribution on our DEC Alpha last night.  I will attempt
to replicate your observations later this morning.

Tom