20010111: mcidas compilation fails at stnplot.k link

>From: address@hidden (Chris Hennon)

Chris,

>I have seemed to hit a snag in my mcidas compilation and do not see any
>references to it in the archives.  I'm on a Solaris 2.7 machine.  It fails
>when it tries to link stnplot.k:
>
>f77 -s -o stnlist.k stnlist.o -L. -R/usr/dt/lib -L/usr/dt/lib
>-R/usr/openwin/lib -L/usr/openwin/lib -R/opt/SUNWspro/lib
>-L/opt/SUNWspro/lib -lmcidas -lgen -lsocket -lnsl -lm
>link    stnlist.k:              done
>./mccomp -vendor -I. -I../netcdf/libsrc -I../jpeg -I../zlib -c stnplot.c
>rm -f stnplot.o
>cc -c -I. -I../netcdf/libsrc -I../jpeg -I../zlib -I/usr/dt/include
>-I/usr/openwin/include stnplot.c
>compile stnplot.c:              done
>./mccomp -s -vendor -o stnplot.k stnplot.o -L. -lmcidas
>f77 -s -o stnplot.k stnplot.o -L. -R/usr/dt/lib -L/usr/dt/lib
>-R/usr/openwin/lib -L/usr/openwin/lib -R/opt/SUNWspro/lib
>-L/opt/SUNWspro/lib -lmcidas -lgen -lsocket -lnsl -lm
>f77: Fatal error in ld: Bus Error
>link    stnplot.k:              FAILED

Hmm...  A bus error is typically a problem on the machine or in the compiler,
not with the McIDAS software.  I seem to remember getting bus errors like
this a couple of years back on our Solaris SPARC 2.5 machine.  The problem
I think went away with either bugfix updates to the OS or compilers.
For right now, I suggest that you simply continue trying to build by
immediately running the make command that was running before.

For reference, what version of compilers are you using?

>I believe I have followed all recommendations and heeded all warnings for
>compiling on Solaris, but I could be wrong.  Let me know if you have any
>ideas or need a login.  Thanks.

For now, we should try to see if it was a one time thing being caused by
your compilers (i.e., continue with the make).  If the bus error continues
to occur, we will need to delve into what patches you need for compiler/loader
and go from there.

Tom