20010110: ADDE server questions and McIDAS minor "bug"

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

>I have a few questions/comments about the new McIDAS 7.702. Before I go on
>though, I should mention that the last time the ADDE server had
>updated satellite imagery was on Monday, at 23:45Z.

Which server?  Chiz told me yesterday that he had changed the directory
hierarchy for the GINI data.  I changed the ADDE server routing file,
RESOLV.SRV, on motherlode and did a quick listing to see if I could
see data.  I will load some images to make sure that I really can access
them and make any modifications if I can't.

>The 7.702 upgrade to my machine apparently was successful, but I noticed
>on the "Unidata McIDAS-X Update Procedure" page, it has this line under
>backing up important files and building new executables:
>
>cp mscour.sh mcscour.sh.bak
>
>And below it, after you are done:
>
>cp mscour.sh.bak mcscour.sh
>
>Obviously, a minor spelling error that I'm sure everyone will go "oh, I
>know what that's supposed to be". But I figure I'd let you know.

Oops, dyslexic typing.  Thanks for pointing this out. I just made the
changes.

>Secondly, OK...NIDS is free, I have the latest version of McIDAS, and now
>I can do spectacular new stuff with the NIDS data on your ADDE server.
>Tell me more! :-) How can I display it on my machine?

Hey, you can display it from _your_ machine.  All you have to do is setup
your ADDE server to know about the NIDS data on weather.admin.niu.edu.

>Suppose I want to grab the...oh, say base refelectivity from KBOU.

As far as I know, there is no NEXRAD station with the ID of KBOU or BOU.
KBOU, by the way, is the ID of an WFO; NEXRAD IDs all have 3-character
IDs.

>Or VIL. How can I do
>this? Are there examples someplace that I likely have missed?

Here is a quick "try this":

DATALOC ADD RTNEXRAD adde.ucar.edu
DSINFO I RTNEXRAD
<note that this list has all of the products that will eventually be there;
some are not there yet>

IMGLIST RTNEXRAD/N0R ID=LIST          <- lists all of the stations that are
                                         reporting

IMGLIST RTNEXRAD/N0R ID=ILX           <- Lincoln IL
IMGDISP RTNEXRAD/N0R ID=ILX STA=ILX EU=BREF REFRESH='EG;MAP H;BAR'

Now, we need to setup NEXRAD ADDE serving on your machine.

>Anyway, I hope you are having a great new year! I will talk to you soon.

It is going reasonably well so far; thanks.

Tom