20001212: Combining NWP and PT data for contouring purposes

Hi Mug folks and Tom/Don,

Here is one I am sure you have been asked before. I have a user who wishes
to produce contoured data based on obs over an area that doesn't have obs
data in it. ie he has a domain including land and sea and only land obs. For
the ocean sectors he wishes to use values from an NWP model so that the
Barnes analysis behaves itself. Within McIDAS what options do we have for
combining the two "obs" sources together so he can either use PTCON or
GRDDISP to contour over the domain based on the two different types of data?
Before I rushed off and wrote something to do this I thought it best to see
how others have handled the same task.

cheers
Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson
Bureau of Meteorology Training Centre Australia
Email address@hidden
Tel (03) 96694104
Fax (03) 96694366
Mail