20001207: McIDAS ADDE setup

>From: "Dan A. Dansereau" <address@hidden>

Dan,

>have you seen any problems with the adde and/or fkey part mcidas7.7??

No, not really.

>after the NEW installation the dsinfo command will return information,
>after the first exit ( mcidas master account ) the dsinfo will only
>return information about the blizzard datasets.

The only thing I can think of is that the account you are working from
does not have properly setup McIDAS environment variables, and/or they
changed from one infocation to the next.

>the fkey system (mcmenu unidata.mnu) will work once, and then it
>reports that imgdisp: image server unable to resolve this dataset - (
>for all data sets ) imgdisp failed,  RC=2 for all subsequent
>operations.

If your session can't resolve the location of datasets (DATALOCs), or
if the definition of datasets (DSSERVE) disappears, then the Fkey
menu and all McIDAS ADDE commands will stop working.

>In addition any area that is overlapped in the fkey window
>is destroyed, and the fkey window gets horizontal lines in the
>overlapped part.

The blanking of the portion of the blue background of the Fkey menu
that is covered at startup is an annoying bug that was there in 7.6
also.

>The MCGUI will display images correctly, but no surface data/contours etc.

The MCGUI display of images is done through non-ADDE loads, but, then again,
so is the point plots/contours.  It would see that there is something amiss
in the Unix environment in which McIDAS is running.

>This is on a SUN sparc with version 8 of the os, and the latest
>compilers from sun.

The latest meaning WS6?  We run on Solaris 2.8 SPARC here and have not seen
your problems.

>I'm sure that I have missed something - I've been thru the installation
>4 times now, and it duplicates every time. Just to make thing
>interesting 7.6 works just fine.  Each time I have deleted everything
>in the mcidas directory, and started with a new install - following the
>instructions on the web page(s) for both LDM & MCIDAS.
>
>If you can point me in a direction to look - it would sure help - Thanks
>Much

I am at a loss for what to tell you.  Any chance of me getting a login
as 'mcidas' to the machine you are having problems on so I can poke around?

Tom Yoksas