20001207: using mcidas with pnga2area

>From: David Fitzgerald <address@hidden>

Dave,

>This is probably documented somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

Review the page:

Configuring Unidata GINI, NIDS, and NOWrad ADDE Servers
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/770/mcx/config_upcadde.html

for an example of what I also give an overview of below.

>I'm using pnga2area in my LDM to store McIDAS area files directly into the
>directory structure used by GARP/NMAP, thus bypassing the need for the
>nsat_links script.  Can I get McIDAS7.7 to use this very same directory
>structure and naming scheme?

Yes, in McIDAS-X 7.7 you can when using ADDE commands.  The older, non-ADDE
commands like DF will not understand the file naming scheme.

>If so, how?

>The documentation for McIDAS still
>talks about the AREA### file naming scheme and ROUTE processing.

If you want to run ROUTE PostProcess BATCH invocations, you still have to
conform to the old AREAnnnn naming conventions.  If you don't want to do
this, then you can define datasets directly using the DIRFILE= keyword
of the DSSERVE command.  Again, this is new in 7.7, so if you are talking
about 7.6 the answer to your initial question is no.

>Once again I am having a brain freeze in installing McIDAS...  we all have our
>demons I guess  :-)

Yup.

One quick example:

o assume that you are having pnga2area file Unidata-Wisconsin imagery in
  the directory structure:

                                 /  VIS/4km
  /data/ldm/gempak/images/GOES-8/   IR/4km
                                 \  WV/8km

                                 /  VIS/4km
  /data/ldm/gempak/images/GOES-10   IR/4km
                                 \  WV/8km

  etc.

Define the dataset RTIMAGES using a DSSERVE command like:

DSSERVE ADD RTIMAGES/GE-VIS AREA TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/ldm/gempak/images/GOES-8/VIS/4km/* "GOES-East 0.65 um Visible
DSSERVE ADD RTIMAGES/GE-IR AREA TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/ldm/gempak/images/GOES-8/IR/4km/* "GOES-East 10.7 um IR
DSSERVE ADD RTIMAGES/GE-WV AREA TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/ldm/gempak/images/GOES-8/WV/8km/* "GOES-East 6.8 um IR (Water
Vapor)

Now, to check to see if you can see images in the dataset RTIMAGES, do:

DSINFO I RTIMAGES
DSSERVE LIST RTIMAGES/GE-VIS
IMGLIST RTIMAGES/GE-VIS.ALL
IMGDISP RTIMAGES/GE-VIS STA=KIAD MAG=1 EU=IMAGE REFRESH='EG;MAP H'

Once you get this far, the rest is simply a matter of slogging through the
various types of images that you have.

Please let me know the results of your testing.

Tom