20001205: XCD and ldm-mcidas setup (cont.)

>From: "Patrick S. Market" <address@hidden>

Pat,

re: setting up XCD should be short and sweet

>Oh, no.  We were noble souls and hammered away at it until we reached
>an impasse; that happened to coincide with a need to get underway with
>other matters.

I understand that completely.

>I'm fairly certain that we didn't write to you about it.
>It was one of those occasions where we didn't have time to pursue things
>had you written us back with things to test, and I didn't want to waste
>your time.  Though we're ending a semester at the moment, there is actually
>more time to attend to this now.

Sounds good.  The slower period will give you the time to upgrade your
McIDAS-X installation to 7.7.  This will be a useful thing to do if
you do decide to start decoding data into McIDAS compatible files (i.e.,
turn XCD on).

re: letting me login to fix your image decoding problems

>That would be great!
>If I thank you any more, you may have to start calling me Polly and
>feeding me crackers, but thanks just the same.

No problem.  The amount of work that it took to get the AREA file decoding
working was minimal; it took maybe five minutes ('cause I knew what to
do).

Here is what I did:

<login as 'mcidas'>

edit .cshrc: modify slightly the section that defines McIDAS environment
             variables.  Remove the define of PATH from within the
             'if ( ! ${?MCPATH} ) then' construct.

             fix the definition of PATH; changed:

             setenv PATH ${MCGUI}:$PATH:/opt/...

             setenv PATH ${MCGUI}:${PATH}:...

             What was there did not work and was producing an error at login.

cd workdata
cp ROUTE.SYS /asp/met/data/ldm/mcidas
cp ../data/SYSKEY.TAB /asp/met/data/ldm/mcidas
redirect.k ADD ROUTE.SYS \"/asp/met/data/ldm/mcidas
redirect.k ADD SYSKEY.TAB \"/asp/met/data/ldm/mcidas
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
   <user> anonymous
   <pass> mcidas@bergeron
   cd pub/mcidas
   get CIMSS.BAT
   get CIMSSADDE.BAT
   quit
batch.k CIMSS.BAT
route.k REL CI CV CW
route.k REL N1 N2 N3 N4 N5 N6 N7 N8
route.k SUS US

te.k XCDDATA \"/asp/met/data/ldm/mcidas
batch.k XCD.BAT
batch.k XCDDEC.BAT

At this point, the McIDAS routing table is setup and correct for
ingest/decode of imagery AND XCD is ready to go (it will decode data
into /asp/met/data/ldm/mcidas; a warning about this is included below).

<login as 'ldm'>

** note ** I noticed that the PATH for 'ldm' has /usr/ucb ahead of
/usr/bin.  I would recommend that /usr/ucb be moved towards the
end of PATH so that you get the Sun versions of things like 'ps'.

verify: the copies of xcd_run and batch.k in ~ldm/decoders had properly
        configured McIDAS environemnt variables

add:    xcd_run invocation to ~ldm/etc/paqct.conf

uncomment: 'exec xcd_run MONITOR' from ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf (but more on this
           later in this message

remove:    'xcd_run DDS' and 'xcd_run HRS' lines from ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf

Since I made these changes (at about 8 am this morning), I have seen
AREA file decoding proceeding in /asp/met/data/ldm/mcidas.

I notice, however, that XCD decoding is not proceeding on bergeron, and
I don't know if you want it to be since there is precious little
space in the /asp/met file system:

McIDAS =>df -k
Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s6    8443727 5986824 2372466    72%    /res
/export/home/umcas   4902342 4599170  254149    95%    /asp/met

Anyway, if XCD decoding was turned on, /asp/met would soon be out of
disk space, so you may want to not turn it on until you organized some
space.  So... I commented out the 'exec xcd_run MONITOR' line in
~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf.

The questions back to you are:

o is there any space into which McIDAS XCD can decode data
o do you want McIDAS XCD decoding turned on; if not, you should comment
  out the 'xcd_run DDS' action in ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf (I already commented
  out the 'xcd_run HRS' line since turning on XCD GRID decoding would
  run you out of disk space in the matter of seconds)

Please let me know if I overlooked anything or if you have any questions.

Tom