20001204: MDXX problems in McIDAS-X 7.6x PROPLT (cont.)

>From: "Patrick S. Market" <address@hidden>

Pat,

>Thanks for all of your help.  You alone have saved this portion of our study.

And, I alone created the bug that caused you such pain in the first place :-(

>I feel a bit sheepish about not knowing that there was a 'proftomd'.  I
>was not aware that it existed (thus my relaince on 'cdftomd'.)  I should
>have been more observant.

proftomd was released as a replacement for cdftomd back when the FSL2 IDD
feed started carrying both hourly summary and 6-minute profiler data.

>Perhaps one of the reasons for this oversight was the high difficulty we
>had with trying to install the McIDAS-XCD software.

I don't believe that I remember emails with problems on this.  Am I forgetting
something?  In fact, XCD should be very easy to build (a 'make all'
instead of a 'make mcx' or 'make'), install (a 'make install.all' instead
of a 'make install' or 'make install.mcx') and configure (essentially
defining one McIDAS string variable and then running two McIDAS BATCH
files.

>We decided to go
>with McIDAS as more of a research tool, but were able to get satellite
>imagery regularly ingested.  Even that has broken now.  All images
>get written to AREA0000.  Once the semester ends, the grad student in
>charge will go back in and attempt to debug that.  Hope the emails don't
>overwhelm you.

I am betting that the breaking of ingest of satellite imager was related
to the addition of CIMSS images back in June.  If this is the case, it
should take no more than a couple of minutes to fix.  I can do this
for you if you give me logins as 'mcidas' and 'ldm' on the machine
running your LDM.  Please let me know.

>Thanks again for all of your help.

You are certainly welcome.

Tom