20001121: Update: help completing install (cont.)

>From: Gary Cunning <address@hidden>

Gary,

>After working through the Learning guide I have found how to access the
>"storm of the century" dataset.

OK.  So you will not be installing it locally, but, rather, will be
going to a remote server to see the data?

>In addition I have pulled back some of
>the AREA files from ftb2 and AWCSERV.BAT.

OK.

>I edited AWCSERV.BAT so that
>the DIRFILE keyword points to the correct locations.

Excellent.

>I think my only
>question now is "how do I run or execute AWCSERV.BAT?"

You would CD to your McIDAS working directory (this would be ~mcidas/workdata
if you are the user 'mcidas'; it would be ~user/mcidas/data if you were the
user 'user') and then run the McIDAS BATCH command:

batch.k AWCSERV.BAT

Tom

>From address@hidden Tue Nov 28 14:06:17 2000

Hi Tom:

Does mcidas support the calculation of the satellite, solar and relative
angles at each pixel of a satellite image? By the way the only
satellites to consider are GOES east and west.

Regards,
Gary

>From address@hidden Tue Nov 28 16:48:12 2000

Hi Tom:

I think I found the command for the satellite calculation. The command
is navcalc.

Here is what I have done. First the aliases:

AKA

Alias Name
Group/Descriptor
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
GI4A                          GOES8/IR4KM
GI4B                          GOES8/IR4KM2
GI4C                          GOES8/IR4KM5
GV4                           GOES8/VISKM2
AKA -- done

Navcalc results:

NAVCALC GI4A INV TYPE=I LATLON=43:08 89:21
HEIGHT=1
Times shown are for solar
position.
Satellite positions based on codicil from 2000326
18:15:16
    date      time     lin    ele     lat       lon     hgt   sat solar
relaz
21-Nov-00  18:15:00   3915  13436  43:08:00  089:21:00  1.0  51.8
63.1   29.3
Done

I think the  next step is to compare the definitions of the angles.

Regards,
Gary
Gary M. Cunning                 National Center for Atmospheric Research
Software Engineer               Research Applications Program
303-497-8441                    P.O. Box 3000
address@hidden                Boulder, Colorado  80307