AREA resolutio

------- Forwarded Message

To: address@hidden (mcidas users-forum)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 22:04:42 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: area resolution

Hi,
I have a few questions about the pixel resolution of a given mcidas area.
When doing the following commands for a given area I get:

LA 97
  area  ss  yyddd hhmmss  lcor  ecor lr er zr  lsiz  esiz z    bands
  ---- ---- ----- ------ ----- ----- -- -- -- ----- ----- -    -----
    97  70  98231   1500  2785  9141  4  8  1  1400  1728 1 ...4......>

IMGLIST MYDATA/IMAGES.97 FORM=EXP
Image file directory listing for:MYDATA/IMAGES
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center      Res (km)   Im>
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon    Lat   Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ----  ----- ----- --->
  97  G-8 IMG       19 AUG 98231  00:15:00    23   71
    Band: 4  10.7 um Surface temp; longwave window       4.0   8.0  14>
     proj:    0 created: 1998231   3742  memo: RT GVAR
     type:VISR     cal type:BRIT
     offsets:  data= 2816 navigation=  256 calibration=    0 auxillary>
     doc length:   0   cal length:   0   lev length:   0 PREFIX=   0
     valcod:          0 zcor:  0 avg-smp: N
     start yyddd: 1998231  start time:  1515  start scan:  351
     lcor: 2785  ecor:  9141  bytes per pixel: 1  ss: 70
     Image Center Point Res (derived)  Lat:   4.59 (km)  Lon:   4.67 (>

The way I understand the image information given in these commands is
as follows:  The highest available resolution for a GOES IR image is
4km.  From the learning guide, the resolution for a given area is the
sampling rate(lr,er) times the sensor resolution.  Therefore the pixel
resolution for the above image is 4km*4=16km in the ydir and 4km*8=32km
in the xdir.  However, if I look at the range of entire area(after
blowing down the image sufficiently), I find  the image lat/lon range
is about 30-110 at ~2N.  If there is 1728 elements along this range,
the resolution is around 5km per element in the xdir.  Which, if any,
is the correct resolution contained in the area?

Lastly, what does the last line of the IMGLIST response indicate?

Image Center Point Res (derived)  Lat:   4.59 (km)  Lon:   4.67

Thanks,

dave
| Dave Vollaro                           address@hidden        |
| SUNYA Atmospheric Science              Phone: (518) 442-4273       |
| Earth Science Bldg Rm 226                                          |
| 1400 Washington Ave                                                |
| Albany, NY 12222                                                   |

------- End of Forwarded Message
From:    "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Marianne=20K=F6nig?=" <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: area resolution

Dave,
the resolution refers to the approximate value at nadir (subsatellite
point). Re solution will decrease by cosine of viewing angle the
further you move away from
 the point.

Hope this answers your question,

Marianne