20001031: MCIDAS 7.6, UAPLOT hangs

>From: Michael Voss <address@hidden>

Mike,

>I'm running Mcidas 7.6 on Solaris 2.6. (vortex.met.sjsu.edu)
>
>I noticed that my UAPLOT command hangs (this is not a new problem, I
>just forgot about it until recently and thought I better straighten it
>out). SKEWT works fine. I tried running uaplot.k from the unix command
>line just for kicks and it hung there also.....skewt.k worked though.

SKEWT reads directly from MD files; UAPLOT makes a request to the
ADDE server specified in the DATALOC for RTPTSRC.

>I noticed that when I plot a SKEWT from the menu, i.e., with SF9,F2, the
>gui widget hangs and I'm unable to enter or change values. I'm not sure
>if this is related to UAPLOT or not. Any ideas what I should check in
>my configuration?

The Fkey menu uses UAPLOT, so the hanging is consistent with the
hangs from the McIDAS session and the Unix command line.  I would
check the ADDE server to which you are pointing for RTPTSRC data.  Is
it your local machine?  Run DATALOC and look at the listing.

You can troubleshoot UAPLOT invocations by changing the ADDE server
to which you are pointed.  For instance, what happens when you do:

DATALOC ADD RTPTSRC ADDE.UCAR.EDU
UAPLOT 72469 12

>thanks,

Tom

>From address@hidden Tue Oct 31 11:34:55 2000
>Subject: Re: 20001031: MCIDAS 7.6, UAPLOT hangs

Tom,

Yes, it's my ADDE server setup. The UAPLOT works fine when I change
RTPTSRC to ADDE.UCAR.EDU.

I added TCP wrappers to my machine a while back (vortex.met.sjsu.edu)
and inadvertantly deleted the ADDE entries in inetd.conf. I replaced
those entries and restarted the inetd daemon. But I'm still having some
trouble. I've been looking at the web documentation which keeps
pointing me to the User's Guide: e.g. from:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/760/mclearn/adde.html

However, notice the user's guide link is broken..?

I know there is some good help in the support archives...I'll check
that out.  Is MCIDAS 7.7 ready for primetime? Maybe this would be a
good time to upgrade.  thanks,

Mike

>From address@hidden Tue Oct 31 12:04:11 2000
>Subject: Re: 20001031: MCIDAS 7.6, UAPLOT hangs

Tom,

FYI-
Well, I played with inetd.conf a little more and voila, my ADDE server
seems to work now.  thanks,

Mike