20000817: Current Setup at University of Puerto Rico

>From: McIDAS <address@hidden>

Karli,

>Thank you for your help so far.

You are quite welcome.

>The feeds seen to be working fine (minus
>the constant connection problems).

You may have noticed that I switched to feeding off of FSU.  A couple
of days ago University of Alabama-Huntsville did not seem to be getting
much data, so I switched to test my changes.

>Our machine still reports that you
>are logged on, although you are idle.

I have a login going as 'mcidas' and another one as 'ldm'.  I was
going to work on switching NIDS filing so as to stop running
nids2area.  This would then force you into using ADDE to look at
the radar data.  I was going to ask you about this, but I see
that you comment on this subject below.

>I was wondering if you still need
>to do other changes other than the one where the feeds are changed
>completely from AREA to ADDE.

Yes.  My objective would be to:

o stop decoding NIDS products into AREA files
o setup pqact.conf to FILE the NIDS products into a logical, hierarchical
  file structure
o setup ADDE access to your NIDS products
o institute data scouring on the NIDS directory hierarchy

I need your go ahead before doing the above.

>Speaking of which, I think it would be a
>good idea to change to ADDE completely even if we don't have McGUI.

I agree.  Getting one's feet wet on ADDE is a good idea especially
given the availability of high resolution imagery through ADDE.

>I just need to talk with Aamos about it to get his approval.

OK.

>Let me know what you need in order make these changes.

See above.

>Again, thank you very much.

You are welcome.  I intend to respond to an earlier email from you
as soon as I have completed setup on breeze.  Since we are almost there,
it should not be long now.

Tom