20000815: McIDAS scouring (cont.)

>From: "Thomas L. Mote" <address@hidden>

Tom,

>I found the problem with scouring. I was setting the number
>of days equal to 1 and qrtmdg needs something between 2 and
>9. It was deleting all the files. I think everything is
>still working. I am still waiting to hear something on port
>503. I don't know what's taking so long.

QRTMDG can use 1, and it should work fine.  The result of the
run will depend on what time of the day the command is run.  If
it is run immediately after 0Z, then all GRID files will be
scoured off.  If, on the other hand, it was run at 12Z yesterday's
files should be scoured.  A number of sites on the hairy edge
of disk usage set GRID scouring to 1 just to get by.  McIDAS GRID
files are excessively big.  This will probably change in the
future, but there is not timeframe for it yet.

>BTW, can you send me the user account and password again
>for the mcidas software. I thought I had the e-mail from
>when you sent it to me late last year, but I cannot find it.

machine: ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
user: xxxxx
pass: xxxxx
directory: unix/760

>Thanks for your help.

You are welcome.  Talk to you later...

Tom

>From address@hidden Wed Aug 16 09:20:32 2000
>Subject: Re: 20000815: McIDAS scouring (cont.)

That's very curious. I was scouring after 0Z (scouring at
21 local), and it would delete ALL of the GRID files. The
scouring set for 2 days seems to be working as advertised.
I should mention that the online documentation does say
that 2-9 days are valid for QRTMDG. You may want to change
the documentation when you get a spare moment (as if that
ever happens!!).

The port 503 update is that our computing people claimed
they never received a "trouble ticket" (sort of like a work
order, I guess) from our "departmental network liason". She
claims she sent one. She sent another this morning.

Thomas L. Mote                               address@hidden
Associate Professor of Geography         ph:  706-542-2906
University of Georgia                    lab: 706-542-6060
Athens, GA 30602-2502 USA                fax: 706-542-2388