20000813: FYI: Unknown error source using fx and mccomp (cont.)

>From: "Craig Motell" <address@hidden>

Craig,

>I wanted to get back to you on the question I asked about using FX which was
>an SSEC script. Some people at SSEC script told me to just to compile directly
>like you suggested. Further the told me I could go to a script called
>"makelog" which was in I believe ~/mcidas/bin.

'makelog' is the log file from the McIDAS-X build.  It shows the commands
run to compile and link programs and any errors/warnings that were emitted
by the compilers.  'makelog' is located in the ~mcidas/mcidas7.6/src
directory.

>This makelog script had lots of examples on how to use "mccomp".

Right.

>I also switched from using the gnu compilers (f2c and gcc) and used HP
>fortran compiler.

OK.

>Everything was fine after that.

Excellent.

>Main Point: makelog is a good place for sample information.

Thanks for the follow-up.

>Thanks for your concern.

No problem.

>From address@hidden Sun Aug 13 18:11:55 2000

>I wanted to use any debugger (probably DDE or adb -- HP style) to
>"debug" e.k. Actually, any program, it doesn't matter which one. The
>trick is that I wanted to debug a program that requires the
>Mcidas-X.7.600 window to be open.

This is easy enough, but not as obvious as it might seem.

>I performed the following steps:

>1) Compile and link:
>$> mccomp -vendor -I. -c -g e.pgm
>$> mccomp -s -g -vendor -o etest.k $lib/main.o -L$lib e.o -lmcidas

>here $lib=/users2/mcidas/lib

>2) Test the program in the McIdas test window

Test window?  Do you mean Text window?

>"gave proper latitude longitude, etc"

>3) From McIDAS text window I entered

>    !xterm &

>4) Started my debugger.

>Problem: The debugger is unable to determine the statement boundaries.

>I suspect that I need to do some or all of the following:

>1) compile a version of main.o that has symbol tables (using "-g" ?)
>2) use version of library mcidas that has symbol tables (using "-g" ?)

Yes, to get good information from a debugger, all routines in an executable
should be compiled in debug mode (-g).  I routinely, however, only compile
the modules I am looking at in debug mode, but then again, I am working
on a Sun and using dbx.  The lack of verbose information about other
routines in the executable _usually_ does not matter to me.  What counts
is line information in the module I am working on.

Since I don't have any experience with the HP debugger, I am afraid I
can't provide any detailed help; sorry.  Do you get no useful output
enven though your stuff is compiled with debug on?

>Can you tell me if you can think of some steps that I have missed?

I see that you are includeing the strip option in your link run of
'mccomp':

mccomp -s

Try leaving off stripping so that the symbol table remains in your
code.

Tom