20000803: McIDAS MCGUI mapping problem (cont.)

>From: David Fitzgerald <address@hidden>

Dave,

re: VIRT9300 being writable

> Ok I see what you mean but  I still can't get it to work.

Nuts!

>I am seeing this  problem on all my user accounts, and I am using my own
>account as an example.  I blew away my ~/mcidas/data directory and
>recreated it.  I copied the required files over using
>~mcidas/admin/userdata, and redid my redirections.  Even with the new
>VIRT9300 file I see the same problem.  MCGUI keeps putting the same
>map on all image products.

Can I get a login to one of the accounts that is seeing the problem so
I can really troubleshoot this?  Thanks in advance...

>Does the $HOME/mcidas/data directory have
>to be world writeable?  I hope not!

No, absolutely not.  As a matter of fact, it should definitely NOT be
world writable.  It should, however, be group writable.  Could this
be the problem?  Hopefully, the only users in the same group as 'mcidas'
are 'mcadde' and 'ldm.

> Any ideas?

No, the symptoms are definitely that VIRT9300 is not being overwritten
as it should.  The fact that an old map is being drawn says this "with
a loud voice".  The fact that you deleted and recreated your McIDAS-X
working directory should, on the other hand, mean that all files in the
directory are writable by you.  I need to get into a session that
fails so that I can probe what is happening.

Tom