20000627: GOES VIS calibration constants

>From: Jimmy Adegoke <address@hidden>

Jimmy,

>I'm need to find the calibration constants for converting GOES 8 VIS
>brightness to albedo. The equation I'm using for the conversion is:
>
>A = (aB*B + b)/IcosE
>
>where   a, b and I are calibration constants
>       B = brightness value
>       E = solar elevation angle
>
>I have the calibration constants for GOES 7. They are 0.00539 W/meter sq.
>for a, -2.67 W/meter sq. for b and 336 W/meter sq. for I, respectively.
>Can someone kindly point me to where I can get similar constants for
>GOES 8 ?
>
>Greatful.

The following information was provided by Dejiang Han of NOAA/NESDIS to
Craig Motell of the University of Hawaii.  It may be relevant to what
you are looking for:

> All the documents both on the GOES calibration web site
> (http://www.oso.noaa.gov/goes/goescal.htm) and its
> affiliated are the latest.
>
> Regarding the GOES-10 imager calibration for visible channels, there are two
> approached as follows. One approach is to apply the pre-launch calibration
> coefficients. As you might know, Table 2 (visible-channel calibration
> coefficients for GOES-10 imagers) on
> http://www.nnic.noaa.gov/SOCC/vis_ch_calibration.html
> contains the pre-launch calibration coefficients for all eight
> imager detectors. The other approach is in-orbit star-based. For the
> detailed information, please take a look at "GOES Imager Visible Channel
> Responsivity Trending", which is located on
> http://www.oso.noaa.gov/goes/visible_trending.htm.
>
> The way dealing with GOES-10 imager visible channel is
> expected to be similar to those for GOES-8 and -9, although at this moment
> there are no coefficients released due to insufficient data. However, in the
> near future, we will release them and will keep you informed.

An additional online reference that may be helpful is:

http://www.nnic.noaa.gov/SOCC/gvarconv.html

Please let me know if this does not get you headed in the right direction.

>Jimmy Adegoke
>Climate Program
>Geog. Dept. & Earth System Sc.Center
>302 Walker Building
>The Pennsylvania State University
>University Park PA 16802
>e-mail: address@hidden
>Fax: (814) 863-7943; Office Phone: (814) 865-7432

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden Thu Jul 13 11:42:47 2000
>Subject: Re: 20000627: GOES VIS calibration constants (more information)

Thanks Tom.