20000621: compiling McIDAS on RedHat 6.2 Linux (cont.)

>From: Anthony James Wimmers <address@hidden>

Tony,

re: simply rerunning make when a failure occurred

>I tried that today. I noticed that when I booted up this morning, it gave
>messages about partitions being full (none of them actually are).

OK, this would explain the error when trying to compile.

>I rebooted again, and there were no more errors there. Then I ran make
>again, and it made it through to the end. There were a whole lot of
>warnings, though. You can see that for yourself in the attachment.

I looked through the attached copy of makelog and didn't see anything
at the end that raised red flags.  I didn't study the file, however.

>Running mcidas, it generated some command-line error messages that you can
>see in the attachments. It was not able to do a MAP NA. There's a record
>of that in an attachment as well.

The errors you included:

  barb: /home/mcidas/mcidas7.6/src $ mcidas
  WARNING: only run as the user 'mcidas' for supervisory tasks
  WARNING: No MCPATH environment variable.
  Using
MCPATH=/home/mcidas/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/mcidas/help:/home/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/help
  Current directory is /home/mcidas/mcidas/data
  open: No such file or directory
  apparent state: unit 10 (unnamed)
  lately writing direct unformatted internal IO
  open: No such file or directory
  apparent state: unit 10 (unnamed)
  lately writing direct unformatted internal IO

  barb: /home/mcidas/mcidas7.6/src $

              M c I D A S - X     V e r s i o n  UNKNOWN

  mcimage: number of graphics colors plus image colors cannot be more th>
  mcimage: Attempting to guess a good value
  open: No such file or directory
  apparent state: unit 10 (unnamed)
  lately writing direct unformatted internal IO
  mcimage: Using slow processing for Z-16 images
  SKED SKEDFILE
  Scheduler starting on file SKEDFILE
  MAP NA
  MAP: ERROR -- Invalid map file: OUTLSUPW

can be explained by your not having defined MCDATA, MCPATH, MCGUI, PATH,
MCTABLE_READ, and MCTABLE_WRITE (actually, the non-definition of MCPATH
explains it all).  I'll bet that when you rebooted and relogged in that
you did not have MCPATH defined or that it was defined incorrectly.

>I understand that you're busy with the conference and all. This probably
>means that we'll have to finish the installation in Michigan. It will be
>easier then too, because then barb will have an address.

Check your environment variable settings and try a session again.

>Thanks,

Later...

Tom