20000503: Unidata GINI ADDE server code (cont.)

>From: David Harper <address@hidden>

Dave,

>It turns out that it would be easier to put the mcidas stuff under a
>different user (pdinrs).
>What do I need to worry about to make this change over?

McIDAS can be installed as any user.  All you have to remember to do is
define the needed environment variables appropriately.  There is nothing
magical about the name 'mcidas' IF the code is setup correctly.  If
it is not, then the code will try to fill in some information by
assuming that the HOME directory is something like /home/mcidas.

>(Ignore this if the second part can be done)
>I noticed that I can run the script from a different account and it works
>just fine.

Right.  That is because the needed environment variables have been defined.

>Should I
>take this as a clue that I can create a tar of the tree you put on our machine
>and untar it on the machine we want to put it on out at dugway? (Calling the
>script from the pdinrs account)

I believe so.  Just remember that there are at least two files in the
'mcidas' installation that have had things defined based on the user
being named 'mcidas':  .cshrc and .mcenv.  Also, simply tarring up and
then untarring the installation assumes that the location of the GINI
data files does not change.  Remember that these were defined in the
configuration file for my GINI ADDE server, ~mcidas/workdata/GINI.CFG.

The real short answer about tarring up the distribution and untarring it
on a different machine is that it will work if the data directory locations
on the target machine are the same as they are on the originating machine.

>Thanks,

The best thing to do is try the tar and find out what kinds of things have
to be changed.  This will only be things like configuration files; executables
don't care where they live.

Tom