20000502: HODO command not working (cont.)

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

>I haven't really checked to see if the McIDAS HODO command had worked
>since the bugfix until today. But typing "HODO KDVN" or "HODO
>74455" yields nothing, despite a "UL MAND 74455" indicating the data is
>indeed there.
>
>All I get is "NO WIND DATA AVAILABLE". The frame is black, with the frame
>number at the bottom left of the screen. IE, nothing comes up.

I just ran HODO KDVN and got "NO WIND DATA AVAILABLE".  When I ran HODO
74455, however, I got the 12 Z hodograph for Davenport, IA.

It appears that KDVN does not resolve to the station IDN for the
Davenport upper air site.  Here is output from MSL commands:

MSL KDVN
 IDN   ID    STATION NAME         DATA TYPES       ST CO  LAT    LON     ELEV
725349 KDVN  DAVENPORT NEXRAD        F T    D      IA US  41:37N 090:35W 259
MSL: DONE
IDU LIST KDVN
Idn     Id        Lat     Lon    Ele   St  Co  Description
000000  KDVN      41.60   90.60  229   IA  US  WSO QUAD CITIES, IA
SAOMETAR: all circuits
IDU: Done

MSL 74455
 IDN   ID    STATION NAME         DATA TYPES       ST CO  LAT    LON     ELEV
744550       DAVENPORT UPPER-AIR        RP         IA US  41:37N 090:35W 229
MSL: DONE
IDU LIST 74455
Idn     Id        Lat     Lon    Ele   St  Co  Description
744550  DVN       41.60   90.60  229   IA  US  WSO QUAD CITIES, IA
RAOB    : all circuits
MDRRADAR: all circuits
IDU: Done

So, as far as McIDAS is concerned, KDVN is not the ID for the Davenport
upper air site (actually, as far as McIDAS is concerned, the Davenport
upper air site does not have an ID, it just has an IDN).  You will have
to use the station IDN for Davenport to get the plot.

Tom

>From address@hidden Tue May  2 10:09:54 2000

>Thanks. When is that database going to be updated?

>Gilbert

>From address@hidden Tue May  2 11:15:13 2000
>Subject: 20000502: HODO command not working (cont.)

>Thanks. When is that database going to be updated?

Technically, the McIDAS station tables are correct, assuming that the
Air Force station database is correct.  Even though the NEXRAD and upper
air sites are located within the same facility, they are distinctly
identified: upper air is WMO number 74455; NEXRAD site is KDVN.  Until
the Air Force changes their database, or until something from the NWS
spcifically defines KDVN to be the upper air site with WMO IDN of 74455,
nothing will change.

Tom